Batavia High School Key Club wins awards at annual district convention
At the 67th annual Key Club District Convention and Leadership Conference on March 10-12 in Oak Brook, Key Clubs from the Illinois-Eastern Iowa District met for a weekend of collaboration, voting for district officers, and a shared love of volunteering.
Six members of the Batavia High School Key Club attended this year's conference along with their faculty adviser and members of their sponsoring Kiwanis Club.
On Saturday, March 11, Marnie Heim, faculty adviser of the Batavia High School Key Club, was surprised with a very prestigious award, the Louis V. Amador Award. Heim was nominated by the Kiwanis Club of Batavia and a $500 donation was given to the Spastic Paralysis Research Foundation in her honor for her work in leading the Key Club over the last 12 years in their efforts for the foundation.
The Batavia High School Key Club has donated more than $70,000 to the Spastic Paralysis Research Foundation under her leadership.
Throughout the conference, the Key Club at Batavia High School won several awards for their work during the last year, including:
• First place: Overall Contribution to Spastic Paralysis Research Foundation (with a donation of $7,500)
• First place: Highest Donation Per Member to Spastic Paralysis Research Foundation (approximately $52 per member)
• First place: Traditional Scrapbook Award
• Third place: Theme and Major Emphasis Award
• Second place: Single Service (Mr. BHS)
• Second place: Robert Hall Achievement Award
• Distinguished Club: Maggie Keating, president; Bridget Grimm, vice president; Sara Wheat, secretary; Will McClure, statistical secretary; Will Freiburger, treasurer; Jackson Lambert, editor; Kyra Marszalek, junior; Lida Marsico, sophomore; and Adam Kennedy, freshman.
• 100 Hour Award: Natalie Bock, Will Freiburger, Maggie Keating, Peter Novak and Sara Wheat
Other awards include: Outstanding Club Bulletin/Newsletter; Interclub Award; Kiwanis Family Relations -- SUPER Award; Preferred Charities Partnership; Public Relations Award; Technology Award; and R.I.O.T. Award (Rosters In On Time).
The Batavia High School Key Club, sponsored by the Kiwanis Club of Batavia, meets twice a week in room A101 on Tuesday at 7:15 a.m. and Thursday at 2:45 p.m. Follow the club on Twitter at twitter.com/bataviakeyclub.