Dirty rags, paint brushes sparked fire in Algonquin

 
 
Updated 1/5/2017 2:07 PM
hello

A small fire at a commercial building in Algonquin late Wednesday was caused by the combustion of dirty rags and paint brushes, fire officials said.

Arriving at 11:24 p.m. at 427 S. Harrison St., crews found smoke showing from the light industrial-type building and a fire in a paint and staining room, according to a news release from the Algonquin-Lake in the Hills Fire Protection District.

Battalion Chief John Knebl said soiled rags and paint brushes in a plastic container spontaneously caught fire.

The fire, which caused less than $500 damage, was extinguished by 11:40 p.m., and crews remained on the scene until 1:30 a.m. to investigate, officials said.

Nobody was injured, and the building is still habitable.

Article Comments ()
Guidelines: Keep it civil and on topic; no profanity, vulgarity, slurs or personal attacks. People who harass others or joke about tragedies will be blocked. If a comment violates these standards or our terms of service, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box. To find our more, read our FAQ.