Washington Post: Reporter barred from entering Pence event
WAUKESHA, Wis. -- A Wisconsin law enforcement official said Thursday he doesn't know why a Washington Post reporter was kicked out of a Wednesday night campaign rally near Milwaukee for Republican vice presidential nominee Mike Pence, but stressed it wasn't his department that removed him.
The Washington Post said reporter Jose DelReal was turned down for a credential before the rally and tried to enter through general admission. The Post reports DelReal was stopped by private security who said he couldn't enter with his laptop and cellphone. The Post says the Waukesha County Sheriff's Department verified DelReal had no phone after patting him down, but DelReal still was denied entry by private security staff.
Sheriff's department deputy inspector Torin Misko said in a press release Thursday that the reporter was initially denied entry with his laptop and cellphone to the media area because he was not present for a Secret Service security sweep.
When he returned without his equipment, event staff asked that sheriff's deputies pat him down, which they did with DelReal's consent, Misko said. After nothing was located, he was allowed to enter, Misko said.
"Several minutes later the event staff walked the reporter out of the facility and advised the deputies that he was not allowed back for reasons unknown to the sheriff's department," Misko said.
Donald Trump's campaign last month banned the Post from being credentialed for its events.
"Our events are open to everyone and we are looking into the alleged incident," Pence spokesman Marc Lotter told The Associated Press.
Post executive editor Martin Baron said DelReal was subjected to "bullying treatment that no ordinary citizen has to endure" at the Wisconsin event.