Gas leak at Long Grove business briefly closes Route 83
A gas leak that turned a Long Grove business into an explosion risk caused firefighters to temporarily shut down a road Monday night.
The Countryside Fire Protection District stopped traffic on Route 83 in both directions south of Route 45 while firefighters found and shut off a damaged meter that was the source of a gas leak at Novak's 83 RV at 25500 N. Route 83, Division Chief Ron Echtenacher said.
"Because of the exposure and gas buildup potential in the different buildings, we shut down the road to lay a supply hose," Echtenacher said.
The hose stretched across Route 83, requiring the road to be shut down for about 45 minutes after the leak was reported around 7:35 p.m.
"We didn't want anybody passing in front of the building with the explosion hazard," Echtenacher said.
Firefighters from Lake Zurich, Libertyville, Lincolnshire and Mundelein helped check other businesses and houses in the area to ensure there were no hazards. The scene was secured after about an hour and a half and no one was injured because of the gas leak.
North Shore Gas arrived on the scene after the fire district's response to fix the problem, Echtenacher said.
The Countryside Fire Protection District reminds residents to contact the fire department immediately for all gas leaks -- even before calling the gas company. Firefighters also encourage people to have a working carbon monoxide detector on every level of their homes.