Hot barbecue coals start Des Plaines house fire, authorities say

 
 
Updated 7/1/2016 1:30 PM
hello
  • A house attic fire in Des Plaines Friday morning was triggered by hot coals that fell onto a wooden deck, authorities said.

    A house attic fire in Des Plaines Friday morning was triggered by hot coals that fell onto a wooden deck, authorities said. Courtesy of Des Plaines Homeland Security & Emergency Management Agency

Hot barbecue coals ignited a wood deck at a Des Plaines home early Friday morning, and the fire spread to the attic of the single-family house, authorities said.

The flames on the deck moved up the exterior wall of the house on the 2400 block of Ballard Road and got into the attic through the roof eaves, Des Plaines Fire Chief Alan Wax said.

All occupants of the house safely evacuated by the time firefighters arrived at 2:50 a.m., and there were no injuries, Wax said.

There was heavy smoke throughout the neighborhood and because of the advanced fire in the attic it took firefighters nearly 30 minutes to bring it under control, he said.

The house sustained extensive attic and roof damage, and interior heat and smoke damage. The preliminary damage loss estimate is $425,000, but the house will not be a total loss, Wax said.

Fire investigators left the scene by 6 a.m.

Article Comments ()
Guidelines: Keep it civil and on topic; no profanity, vulgarity, slurs or personal attacks. People who harass others or joke about tragedies will be blocked. If a comment violates these standards or our terms of service, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box. To find our more, read our FAQ.