$2.5 million bail for Arlington Heights man charged with sexual abuse
An Arlington Heights man was ordered held on $2.5 million bail Friday on charges he sexually abused a girl for more than three years, beginning when she was 5.
Juan Martinez, 44, was charged with four counts of predatory criminal sexual abuse. He faces a minimum of 24 years in prison if convicted.
Cook County Judge Joseph Cataldo ordered Martinez to have no contact with the accuser or anyone under age 18 and to surrender any weapons.
Cook County assistant state's attorney David Shin said Martinez is accused of abusing the girl beginning in August 2013 when she entered kindergarten. He said the girl told a school social worker about the abuse earlier this month after attending a sexual abuse awareness and prevention program held at her grade school under Erin's Law.
The law is named for Erin Merryn, a sexual abuse survivor from Schaumburg who in 2004 began a campaign to empower children to speak out against their abusers.
School authorities notified the girl's parents and the Department of Children and Family Services, which had scheduled an interview with Martinez on May 23, Shin said. Shin said Martinez abused the girl again this week, which prompted Shin to request a high bail.
"His most recent assault just four days ago represents a significant threat to the community," Shin argued.
Martinez, who has no criminal background, next appears in court on June 10.