More task force ideas on cutting governments
Here are some of the other recommendations included in the final report from the Local Government Consolidation and Unfunded Mandates Task Force to Gov. Bruce Rauner:
• If townships consolidate, ensure the first year's tax rate is the lowest among the consolidating bodies.
• Provide the Illinois State Board of Education with flexibility to ensure school district consolidation results in improved academic offerings and improved administrative efficiencies.
• Encourage local governments to seek savings through sharing of services, assets and personnel.
• Allow the merger of township road and bridge districts that maintain less than 25 miles of roads.
• Repeal or reform prevailing wage requirements to give local units of government more control over contracting.
• Allow school districts to contract out noninstructional services such as those for building maintenance, transportation and food preparation.
• Allow local governments to decide whether collective bargaining is mandatory or permitted.
• Allow municipalities and fire districts to determine staffing needs and remove it as a collective bargaining issue.
1. Illinois: 6,968 units (about one for each 1,800 residents)
2. Texas: 5,147
3. Pennsylvania: 4,897
4. California: 4,425
5. Ohio: 3,842
6. Kansas: 3,826
7. Missouri: 3,768
8. Minnesota: 3,672
9. New York: 3,453
10. Wisconsin: 3,128
Source: U.S. Census Bureau, 2012 census of governments