Prosecutors: Antioch-area woman said she drank wine before fatal motorcycle crash

  • Leena Ultsch

    Leena Ultsch

Updated 8/27/2015 2:21 PM

A woman accused of leaving the scene of an accident that resulted in the death of a 50-year-old motorcyclist from Antioch admitted to police she had consumed wine before the crash, Lake County prosecutors said.

Leena A. Ultsch, 34, of the 26400 block of West Grapevine Avenue in Antioch Township, was ordered held in Lake County jail on $250,000 bail during a bond hearing Thursday. Ultsch is also prohibited from using drugs or alcohol, and from driving, and she must remain in her home on 24-hour curfew, should she be able to post the 10 percent required to be released from jail on bond.


Assistant State's Attorney Michael Ori said after the bond hearing that Ultsch admitted to police she had consumed two or three glasses of wine two to three hours before the crash that killed Gregory Boyes on Route 173 near North Linden Lane.

Ultsch faces up to 15 years in prison if found guilty of failure to report an accident resulting in injuries, court records show. She was also charged with failure to render aid, a misdemeanor punishable by up to 364 days in jail.

Additional charges are possible after the investigation is complete, or when her case goes before a Lake County grand jury at a later date, Ori said.

Court records show Ultsch was previously charged in Lake County with DUI in 2004, and in Vernon Hills in 2005. She received supervision on the 2004 DUI, records show, and she spent six days in Lake County jail and one year of parole after pleading guilty to the second DUI charge.

In Wednesday's fatal crash, Lake County Sheriff's officials initially said Boyes lost control of his 2007 Suzuki motorcycle while taking a turn heading west on Route 173. He was pronounced dead at 4 a.m., authorities said.

by signing up you agree to our terms of service

Lake County Sheriff's Det. Christopher Covelli said investigators processing the crash site determined another vehicle was involved in the accident.

Covelli said Ultsch called the sheriff's office about 9:45 a.m. and admitted she collided with the motorcycle and left the scene without contacting authorities.

Ori said Ultsch told police the collision happened about 2:30 a.m. and that Boyes drifted into her lane as they passed each other.

"The initial investigation shows it is likely the victim did not leave his lane of traffic," Ori said. "But, we are waiting on the final investigation before making that final determination."

Ultsch told police she left the scene because she was scared, authorities said.

Investigators examined Ultsch's 2004 Toyota Avalon and found damage consistent with evidence recovered at the crash scene, Covelli said.

Ultsch submitted to a DUI test kit by providing her blood and urine. The results of the DUI kit are pending toxicology tests.

She is due back in court Sept. 14 for a preliminary hearing.

Article Comments
Guidelines: Keep it civil and on topic; no profanity, vulgarity, slurs or personal attacks. People who harass others or joke about tragedies will be blocked. If a comment violates these standards or our terms of service, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box. To find our more, read our FAQ.