Hazmat crews remove chemical mixture at Lincolnshire Marriott

 
 
Updated 5/28/2015 9:52 PM

A Lincolnshire Marriott employee accidentally mixed two chemicals at the resort's indoor pool early Thursday night, prompting hazardous materials crews to evacuate and ventilate the area, authorities said.

The employee was supposed to pour muriatic acid into a large drum of water but instead, poured it in another drum containing a chemical similar to bleach, Lincolnshire Riverwoods Fire Battalion Chief Duane Christensen said.

 

Realizing the mistake, the employee quickly shut and locked a door leading into the hotel's first floor and opened a second door to let the gas vent outside, Christensen said.

The employee got a whiff of the chemical reaction and was treated at the resort by paramedics as a precaution after he began coughing.

The mixture could have caused difficulty breathing for hotel guests if the employee hadn't secured the area, said Christensen, crediting his "prompt actions." No other symptoms or injuries were reported.

Hazmat crews were called to the resort, southeast of Route 45 and West Half Day Road, about 5:30 p.m. Firefighters also ventilated the pool's supply room and evacuated a few rooms nearby.

Crews removed the container of chemicals to a safe location in the parking lot, where police and Marriott security cordoned it off, Christensen said. A cleanup company also was expected to arrive Thursday night to the Marriott to properly dispose of the container.

The resort's general manager did not immediately return a message for comment.

0 Comments
                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
 
Article Comments ()
Guidelines: Keep it civil and on topic; no profanity, vulgarity, slurs or personal attacks. People who harass others or joke about tragedies will be blocked. If a comment violates these standards or our terms of service, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box. To find our more, read our FAQ.