A longtime chorus of state budget woes
Who said what about Illinois' gloomy finances?
1. "If action is not taken to stabilize our revenue code, extreme and radical cuts will be imposed on education and critical public services."
2. "You can't balance this budget simply by looking for easy efficiencies or slight reductions in head count."
3. "For me to sign this budget would be lying to the people of Illinois. It would be like writing a check that I know would bounce."
4. "Everyone wants to go to heaven, but no one wants to die."
5. "The bottom line is that the state of Illinois, unlike many other states, has not taken advantage of our five years of economic growth. And now as we face a recession, our financial problems are daunting."
1. Former Gov. Pat Quinn, 2014
2. Former state Sen. Steve Rauschenberger, 2010
3. Rod Blagojevich, 2008.
4. Senate President John Cullerton, 2009
5. Then-comptroller Dan Hynes, 2008