Golden Apple teaching award finalists named
Golden Apple Thursday announced 32 finalists for the 2014 Golden Apple Awards for Excellence in Teaching. The finalists were selected from a pool of 620 nominations and 272 applicants of fourth through eighth grade teachers in the metropolitan area.
Finalists from the North and West suburbs include:
• Lori Anderson, Grove Avenue Elementary, Barrington, fourth grade.
• Mary Benton, Hawthorn Middle School South, Vernon Hills, sixth through eighth grade art.
• Vita Carnduff, River Trail School, Gurnee, fourth and fifth grade math, language arts, social studies.
• Kimberly Dyer, South Middle School, Arlington Heights, eighth grade general science.
• Alessandra Kennedy, Thomas Jefferson Elementary School, Hoffman Estates, fifth grade.
• Jacquelyn Negus, Quest Academy, Palatine, sixth through eighth grade music, kindergarten through eighth grade choir.
• Margot Van Dyke, O'Neill Middle School, Downers Grove, seventh grade general science.
• Joanne Wegscheid, Edison Middle School, Wheaton, sixth through 12th grade orchestra.
The finalists will participate in a final round of review and observations, with 10 named recipients of a tuition-free spring quarter sabbatical at Northwestern University and $5,000. Visit www.goldenapple.org for more information.