Two Aurora firefighters were injured early Friday morning while responding to a small house fire on the city's south side.
Aurora units were dispatched to a home on the 200 block of Simms Street at 1:17 a.m. after police officers in the area smelled smoke and reported the fire, Deputy Fire Chief John Lehman said.
The residents of the one-story home with a walkout basement said they were burning furniture in the basement fireplace and left it unattended around 10 p.m. Thursday.
Two firefighters sustained minor injuries when they fell through a burned out hole in the floor and into the basement, Lehman said. The firefighters injuries were minor and treated on the scene.
Officials had the fire under control within 15 minutes of arriving on the scene.
Estimated damage to the home is $50,000 and it has been deemed uninhabitable.