Breaking News Bar
posted: 3/30/2012 2:38 PM

2 Aurora firefighters injured early Friday

Success - Article sent! close

Two Aurora firefighters were injured early Friday morning while responding to a small house fire on the city's south side.

Aurora units were dispatched to a home on the 200 block of Simms Street at 1:17 a.m. after police officers in the area smelled smoke and reported the fire, Deputy Fire Chief John Lehman said.

The residents of the one-story home with a walkout basement said they were burning furniture in the basement fireplace and left it unattended around 10 p.m. Thursday.

Two firefighters sustained minor injuries when they fell through a burned out hole in the floor and into the basement, Lehman said. The firefighters injuries were minor and treated on the scene.

Officials had the fire under control within 15 minutes of arriving on the scene.

Estimated damage to the home is $50,000 and it has been deemed uninhabitable.

Share this page
Comments ()
Guidelines: Keep it civil and on topic; no profanity, vulgarity, slurs or personal attacks. People who harass others or joke about tragedies will be blocked. If a comment violates these standards or our terms of service, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box. To find our more, read our FAQ.