Aurora murder suspect punches attorney in court

  • Quentin Moore

    Quentin Moore

Posted3/25/2010 12:01 AM

An Aurora murder suspect who punched his attorney in open court this week will attend future appearances strapped to a chair.

Kane County Judge T. Jordan Gallagher said Quentin C. Moore, 28, "had to be taken down by at least four officers" Monday after he struck Geneva defense attorney Ronald Dolak in the face during jury selection for his murder trial.


Dolak said Moore attacked him again about 45 minutes later, when the attorney tried to talk to him in a holding cell at the St. Charles courthouse.

"I have some scrapes and soreness, but no severe injuries. I'm doing fine," Dolak, who has withdrawn as Moore's attorney, said. "Obviously, he didn't want me on the case anymore."

Moore is currently serving a 23-year prison sentence for attempted murder while awaiting trial on charges he beat an Aurora man to death with a baseball bat in a gang-related killing Sept. 4, 2005.

On Wednesday, he returned to Gallagher's courtroom for the first time since the outburst with his wrists, legs and head strapped to a rolling chair, and his mouth covered. The restraints will be in place whenever he returns, the judge said.

Dolak said Monday's incident was the first time in 14 years of practicing law that he was attacked by a client, and "hopefully the last."

He still isn't sure what set off Moore. The altercation happened as Dolak leaned over to tell his client, who was unrestrained and sitting at a table, to stop "mouthing off" during proceedings, he said.

by signing up you agree to our terms of service

Attorneys and courthouse staff said Moore then lunged over the corner of the table and struck Dolak several times while taunting him, but Dolak recalled being punched only once.

Later, Dolak said, Moore "rushed" him in the holding cell.

Moore, who is due back in court April 14, told the judge Wednesday he wants to hire a new attorney, but first must retrieve a list of legal counsel from his belongings at Menard Correctional Center.

Prosecutors said charges stemming from the attack are pending.