advertisement

Suspect in Carpentersville slaying surrenders

An Arizona teen turned himself in to Carpentersville police over the weekend in connection with the Aug. 2, 2007, street gang slaying of 17-year-old Aaron Razo of Carpentersville on the playground of the Boys and Girls Club at Golfview School.

Anthony Domino, 18, who had been living in Scottsdale, Ariz. was charged in Elgin Branch Court Monday with two counts of first degree murder, according to court reports.

A week ago, Carpentersville police were issued a warrant for his arrest. His former address was in the 2400 block of Dawson Lane in Algonquin.

According to information released at Monday afternoon's bond hearing, Domino's attorney contacted the Kane County State's Attorney's office over the weekend and reached an agreement on Domino's surrender.

"Domino was not the shooter in this case. He was the car owner and the car operator," Assistant State's Attorney Nemura Pencyla told Judge John Noverini in court.

Police reports of the 2007 shooting stated four males were riding in a maroon SUV with tinted windows when a black male got out of the vehicle, leaned over its hood and shot Razo on the playground with a handgun.

Razo said something to the vehicle's driver before he died and at least three of his friends witnessed the shooting, police said.

"It wasn't a random act; it occurred as a result of an argument between two street gangs earlier in the day that got out of control," Carpentersville Deputy Police Chief Michael Gillette said after the shooting.

Domino's was released Monday after posted $7,500.

Henry Lee Black, 19, of the 0-100 block of Birch Street, Carpentersville, who already had been charged as the shooter in the case, is scheduled to begin his trial March 24 at the Kane County Judicial Center.