Chicago's new top cop says shakeup brings 'positive role models'
Chicago's new police superintendent said he was looking for new ideas and "positive role models" when he replaced 21 of 25 district commanders in a department whose image has been battered by allegations of police misconduct.
During a swearing-in ceremony Friday morning, Superintendent Jody Weis told the new commanders and their family members that he recognizes that some call his move "the biggest department house-cleaning in decades."
"I'm not sure that is true," Weis said. "But my No. 1 priority has always been to create an atmosphere of excellence with a team of proven leaders who will bring a new vision, new ideas and the positive role models for the men and women of this department."
At the same time, Weis, who formerly headed the FBI's Philadelphia office, made it clear that his actions are a dramatic shift for the department.
"With today's promotional ceremony, we have stepped out of the shadow of tradition because this is truly a defining moment for the Chicago Police Department," Weis said.
Whether that is true remains to be seen, said a University of Chicago law professor who has studied the department extensively, including its supervisory system -- which he says is deeply flawed -- and allegations of police brutality.
"It's difficult to say whether this shakeup amounts to real change or is window dressing," said Professor Craig Futterman.
Weis' predecessor, Phil Cline, announced his retirement last year amid allegations of excessive force, barroom brawls involving off-duty officers and a scandal in a disbanded gang and drug unit.
Last month, Weis promoted James Jackson, who is black, to be his first deputy and Beatrice Cuello, who is Hispanic, to be head of patrol. He also created a new bureau to improve officer accountability.
The new appointments, effective Sunday, mark the second time in less than a week that Weis has demonstrated his willingness to take action. On Tuesday, he announced he would recommend to the Chicago Police Board that an officer accused in last year's videotaped beating of a female bartender be fired and said his department had a "commitment to root out bad cops."
Anthony Abbate was charged after a surveillance video of the February incident was shown around the world. That was followed by allegations that another group of off-duty officers beat up four businessmen at a bar -- an incident that led to charges against three of them.
On Friday, his new chief of the department's Internal Affairs Division said the department likely would move more quickly than it has in the past to discipline officers who have acted improperly.
"It's very important that when you have sustained instances of misconduct that the punishment ... whether it's separation or suspension be quick, be fair," Chief Tina Skahill said after the ceremony.
Lynette Helm, the new chief of community policing for the department, stressed that the vast majority of officers are doing a good job but that some problems must be addressed to restore public trust.
"That's why we're all here," she said.
Mayor Richard Daley charged Weis with rebuilding public trust and says the superintendent has his blessing to make changes in the department of some 13,500 officers. Weis said Friday that he did not talk to the mayor about the changes he planned.
"He told me a while back it's my department, the decisions I make I'm gonna have to live or die with," Weis said.
Weis said he was moving so swiftly in an effort to address serious issues, including the recent a rash of violence among young people.
"We need to get people in place before we can focus on the strategies," he said.