advertisement

Fired deputy may be back on job in McHenry County

A fired McHenry County Sheriff's deputy now challenging Sheriff Keith Nygren for the department's top post could soon be back on patrol after, he said Monday, an arbitrator ruled his termination was not appropriate.

Zane Seipler said arbitrator Martin Matlin determined he should have been suspended for three days - not fired - for decisions he made during two traffic stops last year that led to his dismissal.

"I feel some vindication," Seipler, 35, of Woodstock, said. "I absolutely want to go back to work."

Nygren, who can appeal the arbitrator's ruling, could not be reached for comment.

The sheriff fired Seipler in November following an investigation into two traffic stops in which the four-year deputy allowed a male who was driving without a license off without a citation. In one instance, he instead ticketed a female passenger for driving without insurance as if she were the driver. In the other, a female passenger was given a warning ticket for speeding.

"I admitted to my mistakes," Seipler said. "I gave some teenage kids a break. It didn't hurt anyone and I was able to rectify the situation."

Seipler believes it was not the traffic stops that led to Nygren's decision to fire him, but instead complaints of racial profiling he levied against his fellow deputies. Nygren has said the allegations, contained in a federal lawsuit Seipler filed last year, were investigated and determined to be unfounded.

Seipler now is challenging Nygren, a third-term incumbent, for the Republican nomination for sheriff in next year's GOP primary. He said he does not intend to make his dismissal and the federal lawsuit campaign issues.

Despite his differences with Nygren and others in the department, Seipler said he is eager to rejoin the force.

"I'm sure (Nygren) would be hesitant to have me back, but I'd be willing to be back tomorrow," he said.