advertisement

Trump says he’s called off an attack on Iran to give talks more time

President Donald Trump said Monday that he had tentatively called off plans for the United States military to attack Iran after the heads of three countries in the Middle East asked him to give negotiations more time.

In a Truth Social post Monday, Trump said Qatari Emir Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani, Saudi Arabian Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman and United Arab Emirates President Mohamed bin Zayed al-Nahyan had asked him to “hold off” on a planned military strike on Iran — originally scheduled for Tuesday — in light of “serious negotiations” on a peace deal.

“Based on my respect for the above mentioned Leaders,” Trump wrote, he had instructed U.S. military leaders “that we will NOT be doing the scheduled attack of Iran tomorrow.”

The move was the latest sudden turn by Trump in the 11 weeks since the U.S. and Israel launched their attack on Iran on Feb. 28. In recent days, he had threatened renewed attacks. On Sunday, he had written on Truth Social that Iran needed to move fast “or there won’t be anything left” and that “the Clock is Ticking.”

In his latest post, Trump insisted, however, that the U.S. military is prepared to launch a “full, large scale assault of Iran, on a moment’s notice” if negotiations sour.

He added that the deal would include “NO NUCLEAR WEAPONS FOR IRAN!”

The U.S. and Iran remain locked in a tense standoff over the Strait of Hormuz, the narrow Persian Gulf waterway through which 20% of the world’s oil supply passes.

The two countries have imposed competing blockades and military restrictions around the strait, disrupting global energy markets, driving up gas prices and contributing to growing public anxiety about the economy five months before the midterm elections.

Last month, in an address to the nation, Trump declared that the war with Iran was “nearing completion.” But in the weeks since, he has offered mixed signals.

In an interview with the New York Post published Monday, Trump said Iran knows “what’s going to be happening soon,” but he declined to elaborate.

In explaining his decision to call off the attacks, Trump said the Arab leaders told him negotiations were on the brink of a breakthrough that “will be very acceptable to the United States” and that will ensure Iran doesn’t have nuclear weapons.

A Middle Eastern diplomat familiar with the negotiations told The Washington Post that Trump was specifically dissatisfied with the previous offer from Iran pertaining to restrictions on nuclear enrichment and wanted a deal with more extensive restrictions.

In earlier rounds of talks, a U.S. proposal would have banned Iran from enriching uranium for 25 years. Iran rejected that, said the diplomat, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss sensitive negotiations. A later U.S. proposal would have banned enrichment for 20 years, which Iran also rejected, the diplomat said.

Among the countries urging the U.S. to hold off attacks was the United Arab Emirates, Trump said. The oil-rich country is often one of the most publicly hawkish Arab countries toward Iran, but it has also weathered the most extensive attacks from Tehran in the conflict. Iran has targeted the UAE because of its close security and diplomatic ties to Israel.

The UAE’s push to hold off on the strike is an indication of its own vulnerability to renewed Iranian attacks on its cities, oil infrastructure and military bases, the diplomat said.