Kitchen fire damages Naperville townhouse; No injuries reported

No injuries were reported Sunday after Naperville firefighters extinguished a blaze in the kitchen of a townhouse, officials said.

According to the Naperville Fire Department, a neighbor of the home on the 2800 block of Ledgestone Drive called 911 at about 1:54 p.m. to report seeing smoke coming from the two-story residence.

Firefighters arrived about five minutes later and found a small kitchen fire. Crews promptly forced entry into the home and utilized an extinguisher to put out the fire, which was deemed under control at 2:02 p.m.

No one was home at the time of the fire and no firefighters were injured, officials said.

The cause of the fire was determined to be an unattended candle, according to the fire department. The fire caused an estimated $5,000 in damages, but the building remains habitable, officials said.

Article Comments
Guidelines: Keep it civil and on topic; no profanity, vulgarity, slurs or personal attacks. People who harass others or joke about tragedies will be blocked. If a comment violates these standards or our terms of service, click the "flag" link in the lower-right corner of the comment box. To find our more, read our FAQ.