Authorities: Man charged after fleeing deputies, crashing into cornfield

A 54-year-old man faces multiple charges after authorities said he led Kane County sheriff's deputies on an all-terrain pursuit that ended in a rollover crash in the cornfield near Crane Road in St. Charles, authorities said.

Wasfi Farooqui, of the 500 block of Oakwood Lane in South Elgin, was charged with aggravated fleeing and eluding, criminal damage to property and aggravated assault to an officer.

He also was charged with misdemeanors and traffic offenses, including resisting or obstructing an officer, driving with a revoked license and speeding.

According to a news release from the Kane County sheriff's office, the chase began shortly after 3 p.m. when deputies attempted to apprehend Farooqui on a warrant in the BMO Harris Bank parking lot, just west of Randall Road.

According to the news release, Farooqui evaded deputies by fleeing through a crowded parking lot but was later apprehended after driving off the road and striking a utility pole at Crane Road and Twin Silos Drive, between Silver Glen and Bolcum Roads.

Farooqui's vehicle sustained heavy damage, but no other vehicles were involved, and no injuries were reported.

Undersheriff Amy Johnson issued a news release that said the patrol division was informed of the suspect in an orange 2022 Dodge Charger, wanted for fleeing and unlicensed driving, at approximately 2:57 p.m.

Deputies located the vehicle and attempted a traffic stop when the suspect fled from the reportedly busy parking lot.

According to the release, deputies elected not to pursue in the interest of public safety.

The Charger exited the parking lot onto Silver Glen Road, where the sheriff's office again attempted to stop it, according to the release.

Farooqui fled from Silver Glen Road through the cornfield to the south and onto Crane Road, continuing south. At Crane Road and Twin Silo's Drive, the speeding vehicle left the road and struck a utility pole before rolling into the adjacent cornfield, according to the release.

Farooqui was seen by medics at the scene and taken into custody by the sheriff's office on outstanding warrants.

• Daily Herald staff contributed to this report

Article Comments
Guidelines: Keep it civil and on topic; no profanity, vulgarity, slurs or personal attacks. People who harass others or joke about tragedies will be blocked. If a comment violates these standards or our terms of service, click the "flag" link in the lower-right corner of the comment box. To find our more, read our FAQ.