FILE - In this Sept. 11, 2013 file photo, a Syrian refugee boy sits on the ground at a temporary refugee camp, in the eastern Lebanese town of Al-Faour, Bekaa valley near the Syria-Lebanon border. On Tuesday, Jan. 31, 2017, UNICEF appealed for $3.3 billion this year to help millions of children worldwide facing conflict, malnutrition and other humanitarian emergencies. (AP Photo/Hussein Malla, File)
The Associated Press
GENEVA (AP) - UNICEF is appealing for $3.3 billion this year to help millions of children worldwide facing conflict, malnutrition and other humanitarian emergencies.
The U.N. children's agency says more than 40 percent of the appeal would provide funds for children either displaced within Syria or who have fled abroad to escape the country's nearly six-year war.
UNICEF said its annual appeal announced Tuesday follows an initial request for $2.8 billion last year, which eventually grew to $3.2 billion amid escalating conflicts in Yemen, South Sudan and Iraq.
The single largest donor in 2016 was the United States, which contributed $407 million, followed by Germany at $250 million.
UNICEF emergencies director Manuel Fontaine said: "We certainly hope that the United States will keep with its tradition of helping us."
FILE - In this March 11, 2014 file photo, an aid worker measures the upper arm circumference of 9-month-old Shurouk as her mother Mervat, 31, holds her inside their tent at a camp for Syrian refugees in Kab Elias, in Lebanon's Bekaa Valley. The measurement is an immediate indicator of malnourishment. On Tuesday, Jan. 31, 2017, UNICEF appealed for $3.3 billion this year to help millions of children worldwide facing conflict, malnutrition and other humanitarian emergencies. (AP Photo/Bilal Hussein, File)
The Associated Press
Manuel Fontaine, Director Office of Emergency Programmes of UNICEF, covers his face during a press conference about the UNICEF's overview on Humanitarian Action for Children 2017, at the European headquarters of the United Nations in Geneva, Switzerland, Tuesday, Jan, 31, 2017. (Salvatore Di Nolfi/Keystone via AP)
The Associated Press
Manuel Fontaine, Director Office of Emergency Programmes of UNICEF, shows the UNICEF's overview on Humanitarian Action for Children 2017, at the European headquarters of the United Nations in Geneva, Switzerland, Tuesday, Jan, 31, 2017. (Salvatore Di Nolfi/Keystone via AP)
The Associated Press