St. Charles to reinstate brush collection - for a price
Two new, pending measures will help ensure St. Charles residents have cleaner basements and yards. However, at least one of the changes will mean the cost of city services will go up for more than 9,500 city residents.
City officials have experimented with cutting back on leaf and brush collection the past two years. Two years ago, the city switched to only three leaf collections and seven brush pickups. Residents didn't have a problem with fewer chances to get rid of leaves. But eliminating one brush collection, in July, fueled a flood of resident complaints.
In response, city officials brought back the July brush collection last year. In trade, they eliminated the November brush collection.
Again, residents jammed phone lines at city hall demanding the reinstatement of the November collection. So, this year, the city will contract out for brush pickup from April through November - but it's going to cost those fans of having eight full brush collections.
One additional collection that has won preliminary approval will add $22,889 to the city's brush expenses. Officials will pass that cost along to residents by increasing the monthly yard waste fee by 20 cents to $4.41 per month. Next year the fee will increase to $4.50 per month. And in 2018, the fee will hit $4.59 per month.
"The feedback that we have gotten has demonstrated that the service expectation is such that this is the recommendation we would make," said A.J. Reineking, the city's public works manager.
Alderman Jo Krieger told Reineking she will support the fee increase, but she hasn't been impressed by the performance of leaf and brush removal contractor Kramer Tree Specialists, Inc.
Krieger said there are always either leaves and brush left behind or damage caused to her lawn during the pickups.
"I can't win with them," Krieger said. "I thought last fall was a disaster."
Reineking said he will make sure city staff double-checks the work.
Aldermen also gave preliminary approval Monday night to an increase in the funding for the city's Homeowner Sewer Assistance Policy Program. The program gives financial help to residents who experience flooding inside a home caused by sanitary sewer backups or stormwater seepage.
The money reimburses homeowners for half the cost of improvements to prevent future backups and flooding. That reimbursement is capped at $2,500, which is less than what every other neighboring community offers their residents.
Aldermen supported increasing the cap to $3,500 Monday night.
The full city council must still take a vote on the plans before they are finalized.