Waukegan man shot, killed by police in NorthShore Highland Park Hospital ER

A Waukegan man who authorities said was armed with a handgun was shot and killed by police officers inside NorthShore Highland Park Hospital early Monday, authorities said.

Christopher M. Anderson, 27, pulled out the gun after becoming "aggressive" with hospital staff members, police said. He was shot after refusing to drop the weapon, said George Filenko, commander of the Lake County Major Crimes Task Force.

No one else was hurt.

The task force is investigating the shooting.

Filenko wouldn't say what had angered Anderson or where the weapon came from, citing the ongoing investigation.

Investigators have an "ample amount of witnesses" to interview, Filenko said.

Anderson's family has complained police haven't given them any information about how the man died.

"We haven't been told anything by the proper authorities," said Ralph Peterson Jr., a Waukegan man speaking for the family."We're crying out for the proper authorities to call us and tell us anything."

The shooting occurred about 1:30 a.m. in a treatment room inside the emergency department. Highland Park authorities have not released the name of the two officers involved.

Anderson was in the emergency room after a car accident that occurred about 11 p.m. Sunday on I-94 near Lake-Cook Road, authorities said.

Anderson and his 9-year-old daughter, Alaysia, were passengers in the car.

Illinois State Police investigated the crash and arrested the driver, authorities said.

A state police spokeswoman identified the driver as George A. Moore, 30, of Chicago. Moore was charged with driving under the influence, improper lane usage, driving with open alcohol, child endangerment, driving with a suspended license.

The Andersons were taken to the hospital to be treated for injuries suffered in the crash.

About two hours later, Highland Park Police were called to the hospital because Anderson had become aggressive toward hospital workers, Filenko said.

Officers and hospital staff members tried to calm Anderson, Filenko said, but then he pulled out the gun. The two officers shot him after he wouldn't drop the gun, authorities said.

Anderson was hit several times, Filenko said. Medical staff members unsuccessfully tried to save his life.

Alaysia Anderson later was released from the hospital to a relative.

"She's shaken up," Peterson said. "She's grief stricken."

The Lake County coroner's office will perform an autopsy Tuesday morning to determine some of the circumstances of Anderson's death.

Peterson said Anderson did odd jobs for a living. He attended Waukegan High School but graduated from a Chicago school.

His mother, Leedora Rhyan of Waukegan, said Peterson didn't own a gun. She wasn't aware if he had any past problems with police.

NorthShore Highland Park Hospital spokesman Andy Buchanan said the facilities is "safe and fully operational." Questions were directed to Highland Park police.

• ABC 7 Chicago contributed to this report.

Article Comments
Guidelines: Keep it civil and on topic; no profanity, vulgarity, slurs or personal attacks. People who harass others or joke about tragedies will be blocked. If a comment violates these standards or our terms of service, click the "flag" link in the lower-right corner of the comment box. To find our more, read our FAQ.