St. Charles man arrested on burglary charges while out on bail
A St. Charles man awaiting a day in court after being arrested on charges of 13 counts of residential burglary in April was arrested again on Thursday when St. Charles police caught him trying to break into a home, officials said.
Police picked up Gregory Behrendt, 56, of the 1200 block of Winners Cup Circle, shortly after midnight near the scene of an attempted burglary on the 500 block of South Seventh Street. Police said Behrendt had numerous tools commonly used in burglaries with him at the time of his arrest.
Police then executed a search warrant on properties and a vehicle Behrendt owns. They discovered numerous items recently reported stolen in burglaries that occurred between June 15 and Sunday at homes on the 3200 to 3300 blocks of Royal Fox and the 2500 block of Royal Lytham Drive in St. Charles.
Police said the investigation is ongoing. Geneva police confirmed earlier this week that they've received at least one report by a resident about a man who came to his door late at night asking for directions to an address that does not exist. The resident later identified the man as Behrendt after seeing his photograph in a newspaper. Geneva police said they are investigating the report and are unable to confirm or deny if Behrendt is suspected of burglarizing homes in Geneva.
Behrendt pleaded not guilty to 13 counts of residential burglaries in St. Charles and Geneva on June 11. During that arrest, police said Behrendt's strategy involved knocking on the doors of homes late at night to see if anyone was home. If the home was unoccupied, police said Behrendt would return later, force his way into the residence and take various items.
He faces up to 15 years in prison on the earlier charges.
At Behrendt's bond hearing on the new charges Friday afternoon, two counts each of residential burglary and attempted residential burglary were added. He was being held on $3 million bond at the Kane County jail. He would need to pay $300,000 to go free.
Behrendt's next court date is July 7.
Police said any additional charges are pending the result of their ongoing investigation.