advertisement

Judge refuses to lower bond for man charged with murder

A judge Tuesday refused to lower the $1 million bond set for a McHenry County man awaiting trial on charges he raped and murdered a woman he met online.

The decision likely will keep Thomas A. Brown, 39, locked up in the McHenry County jail until he goes to trial on four counts of first-degree murder and a charge of aggravated criminal sexual assault stemming from the June 9 slaying of girlfriend Vitriza M. Wedward.

Authorities say Brown viciously beat the 33-year-old West Allis, Wis., woman and slammed her into a wall of his Wonder Lake home and sexually assaulted her while she was unable to give consent. Rescue crews called to the home about six hours later took Wedward to Centegra Hospital-McHenry, where she was pronounced dead as a result of blunt force trauma.

Police said Brown and Wedward had met through an online dating service and had been seeing one another for a short time before the killing.

Although Brown has pleaded not guilty to the charges, a prosecutor said in court Tuesday that he admitted harming Wedward when first questioned by police.

"The defendant did make statements indicating he was responsible for the decedent's injuries," Assistant McHenry County State's Attorney Michael Combs said.

Brown was asking Judge Sharon Prather to cut his $1 million bond in half, a move that would allow him to go free by posting $50,000 cash.

Combs objected and provided the court with autopsy photos and a diagram depicting Wedward's injuries to illustrate the "brutal and heinous nature" of her death.

"Based on the serious nature of the offenses and the possible penalty of natural life in prison, there would be a motive to flee (if he is released)," he said.

Prather agreed, stating that with Brown's criminal history - including prior convictions for aggravated battery and domestic battery - the $1 million bond is appropriate.

Brown is scheduled to return to court Sept. 29 for a pretrial status. No trial date has been set.