Top-seeded Stepanek pulls out of Nottingham with rib injury
NOTTINGHAM, England -- Top-seeded Radek Stepanek pulled out of the Nottingham Open on Wednesday with a rib injury and said he may not be fit to play in next week's Wimbledon.
Stepanek said he was diagnosed with a muscle tear after Tuesday's win over John Isner of the United States, and was in pain Wednesday morning after hitting practice shots.
The Czech player had been due to play Vincent Spadea of the United States at the Wimbledon warmup tournament.
"It's not a great moment for this to happen because I feel I've been playing really well and trying to get back to the top 10 and now I'm scared if I'm going to be playing Wimbledon," the 15th-ranked Stepanek said.
Stepanek is seeded 16th at Wimbledon, which starts Monday.