Articles filed under Wayne Township
Turnquist retires as longest-serving male teacher in U-46 May 22, 2013 12:00 AM
With 41 years in the classroom, Jerry Turnquist will retire as the longest-serving male teacher in Elgin Area School District U-46 history. Turnquist spent his entire career at Ellis Middle School after growing up just a few blocks away. Colleagues gathered to recognize his career, as well as the work of three other retiring Ellis teachers — Phylis Dunlap-Huerta, Carlos Salgado and Steve Childs, who attended Ellis as a student and then later walked its halls as a band instructor.
Images: St. Edward High School graduation May 22, 2013 12:00 AM
St. Edward Catholic High School held their commencement ceremony on May 21st at St. Patrick Mission Church in St. Charles.
Heartbreak again for St. Edward May 22, 2013 12:00 AM
This might be the worst case of déjà vu for the St. Edward girls soccer team. For the second year in a row, the Green Wave was oh so close to a trip to the IHSA Class 1A state Final Four. But just as it happened last year in the sectional final against Lisle, the season ended in heartbreak for coach Tim Brieger’s team. Francis Parker was this year’s Lisle, coming from behind to beat the Green Wave 3-1 in the Concordia University supersectional in River Forest Tuesday. The IHSA added a supersectional round to Class 1A girls soccer this year for the first time.
Images: Daily Herald prep photos of the week May 21, 2013 12:00 AM
The Prep Photos of the Week gallery includes the best high school sports pictures by Daily Herald photographers. This week's gallery features photos from track, baseball, softball, volleyball, water polo and soccer.
U-46 initiative strives for early literacy in kids May 20, 2013 12:00 AM
Leaders of the "Give Me Five!" school readiness initiative updated Elgin Area School District U-46 school board members Monday, one year into their effort, which has focused on informing parents, community members and staff members of their roles in making sure 98 percent of first graders are reading at grade level by 2015.
Ex-U-46 teacher accuses district of forcing resignation May 20, 2013 12:00 AM
A former U-46 teacher has sued the district, arguing she was essentially fired in February 2012 after a hospitalization in fall 2010. Schaumburg resident Jeanette Boland, a former tenured teacher at Larsen and Kenyon Woods middle schools in Elgin and South Elgin, respectively, argues Elgin Area School District U-46 violated the Illinois Human Rights Act by saying she had a psychological problems, thus discriminating against her.
Waubonsie Valley defeats South Elgin to win Valley May 20, 2013 12:00 AM
Waubonsie Valley's wait was worth it. Its game with South Elgin Friday suspended after one batter due to rain, the two teams came back on Monday with the No. 4 Warriors' 4-1 win clinching the outright Upstate Eight Valley championship.
Baseball: Scouting the Fox Valley postseason May 18, 2013 12:00 AM
Scouting the upcoming baseball postseason in the Fox Valley.
Softball: Scouting the Fox Valley postseason May 18, 2013 12:00 AM
Scouting the upcoming softball postseason in the Fox Valley.
Softball/Fox Valley roundup May 18, 2013 12:00 AM
Baseball/Fox Valley roundup May 18, 2013 12:00 AM
Aurora CC takes regional from St. Edward May 18, 2013 12:00 AM
The Aurora Central Catholic baseball team had already seized momentum and the lead with a 3-run fourth inning, but the phantom defensive play the Chargers pulled off in the top of the fifth became the defining moment of their 4-2 victory over St. Edward in the Class 2A Westminster Christian regional Aurora championship game Saturday. No. 2 St. Edward (16-9) trailed by 2 runs but had a runner at second base with one out when ACC ace Matt Miller faked a pickoff throw to second base, forcing the runner to dive back to the bag head first. However, the ball never left Miller's mitt.
Westminster Christian nails down 1st regional title May 18, 2013 12:00 AM
It's been a big week for the Westminster Christian softball team. On Tuesday, the Warriors won a regional game for the first time in program history. On Saturday, they did themselves one better, claiming the program's first regional championship — and they did it at Jockey Field in East Dundee, Westminster's home field. Becca Fugiel had 3 hits including a double, triple and 3 RBI and her sister Rachel scattered 7 hits with 4 strikeouts and 4 walks as the Warriors defeated Christian Liberty 7-4 in a Class 1A regional title game.
Wauconda nips South Elgin in 8 May 18, 2013 12:00 AM
Withstanding pressure is one of the keys to making a deep postseason run, and both the South Elgin and Wauconda softball teams got a taste of pressure in the opening game of the Bandits Jamboree on Saturday at The Ballpark in Rosemont. A pitchers duel between Wauconda's Kayla Wedl and South Elgin's Paige Allen ended in a 2-1 Bulldogs win in 8 innings.
Jacobs celebrates first sectional crown May 18, 2013 12:00 AM
Whether you were a Jacobs tennis player graduating or not, Saturday was quite the celebration to say the least. The Golden Eagles, who qualified all 6 of their participants in the Elgin sectional to state, won the sectional with 29 points, the program's first sectional championship. South Elgin placed second with 24 and Hampshire was third with 21. The meet, which was originally scheduled for 9 a.m. was moved up to 2 hours to accommodate Jacobs' graduation at the Sears Centre.
South Elgin honors student dies in his sleep May 17, 2013 12:00 AM
Rhett Lundy, a 14-year-old freshman at South Elgin High School, died in his sleep Wednesday. Autopsy results showed he had an enlarged heart. The school held an assembly Friday to honor his memory.
Full circle for Bianchina, Geneva at Hoffman Estates May 17, 2013 12:00 AM
Senior Mike Bianchina served as an alternate runner for Geneva when it won its last boys track and field sectional title in 2010.Three years later in the Hoffman Estates Class 3A sectional, Bianchina helped the Vikings to their second title in four years.Despite finishing tied for sixth out of 14 teams at the Upstate Conference tourney last week, Geneva rose to the occasion on Friday night and scored 103 points to top runner-up Schaumburg (88) and St. Charles North (80)."I always thought about it (going out with a sectional title after being part of one as a freshman)," Bianchina said. "This was a great night for the entire team."
Softball/Fox Valley roundup May 17, 2013 12:00 AM
Burlington Central has productive night at Sterling May 17, 2013 12:00 AM
The Burlington Central boys track team accomplished its goals Friday night at the Class 2A Sterling sectional. The Rockets qualified three relay teams and two individuals for next weekend's state finals in Charleston.
Conant wins 7th straight regional crown May 17, 2013 12:00 AM
When Jason Franco took over as the head coach of the Conant girls soccer team 9 years ago, he gave his team a goal: win a regional title. On Friday night on their home field in the Class 3A Conant regional finals, the No. 4 seed Cougars met that goal for the seventh consecutive time by defeating No. 11 seed South Elgin 2-0.
- Former Glenbard East student accused of shooting threat
- Cadillac Ranch agrees to give up 4 a.m. license, will now close at 3 a.m.
- Schaumburg police warn of strong-arm robberies
- Ex-Elgin deputy chief accused of misconduct, identity theft
- Missing Lake Villa woman found
- Schaumburg trustee tells of Oklahoma tornado experience
- Antioch Rescue Squad, village splitting up
- Train kills man in Prospect Hts.
- Urlacher announces NFL retirement with no regrets
- Theft charges dropped against ex-Barrington High administrator
- Schaumburg woman held in E. Dundee hit-and-run
- Schaumburg trustee tells of Oklahoma tornado experience
- Seven held at gunpoint during Palatine robbery
- Former U-46 teacher sues, charges discrimination
- Now Blackhawks face pretty much a must-win situation
- DuPage reconsidering Islamic prayer center plan
- Barrington fire district searching for its own staff
- Don Mauer puts 'The 8-Hour Diet' to the test
- Search for tornado survivors nearly complete
- Illinois headed to limiting high-capacity ammo magazines?
- CABINET MAKER - Cabinet Maker Custom shop seeking a cabinet maker with 5 years experience 630-443-8882 (id:4339902) WAREHOUSEANDPLANT OPERATOR - CHEMICAL PLANT NEEDS OPERATOR TO BLEND CHEMICALS AND FILL ORDERS. FULL FAMILY BENEFITS. FAX RESUME: 847-630-4357 (id:4339778) HEALTH CARE - Life Experience Coordinator The Garlands of Barrington is seeking a creative and energetic leader to transition our Memory Care unit into a dynamic, activity and ability based model of service. This position will have direct involvement with families and other departments while developing individualized plans for each member. The ideal candidate will have experience in developing and implementing programs, as well as training and motivating others. A passion for dementia care is a MUST. A flexible work schedule to accommodate the needs of our members will include weekend and holiday rotation. Experience in a long term care environment as well as Supervisory experience preferred. Apply today and experience The Garlands difference! We look forward to meeting you! Apply in person at The Garlands, 1000 Garlands Lane, Barrington IL 60010, email Sandy at Shlousek@thegarlands.com, fax to 847-756-3100 or call Sandy at 847-756-3423 (id:4340181)
- HEALTH CARE - The Garlands of Barrington is looking for special and caring individuals who want to make a difference in an older adult's life to join our team! We have opened our own homecare department, Garlands Homecare Solutions, and we are looking to fill the following positions: -C.N.A's Part time -All shifts -1 year home health experience preferred -Caregivers Part time -All shifts -1 year home health experience preferred -Live-In C.N.A. Full time 1 year home health experience preferred Apply today and experience The Garlands difference! We look forward to meeting you! Apply in person at The Garlands, 1000 Garlands Lane, Barrington IL 60010, email Sandy at Shlousek@thegarlands.com, fax to 847-756-3100 or call Sandy at 847-756-3423. (id:4340178) INVENTORY ANALYST - AccuVal is seeking a full time inventory analyst for our Schaumburg office. Learn more and apply online: www.accuval.net (id:4339579) RECEPTIONIST - Receptionist Glendale Hts Auto Dealer seeks part time Receptionist/ Cashier. Dealership exp. a plus. Multi-tasking and reliability a must. Responsibilities will include answering phones, cashiering and light filing. 20 -25 hours per week. Retail environment. Schedule will include some Saturday & holiday hours. Please email resume to Jan at email@example.com (id:4340098)
- POLICE OFFICER - POLICE OFFICER The Village of Mount Prospect Board of Police and Fire Commissioners will be conducting a Police Officer Examination. Preliminary application, requirements and testing information is available at: PublicSafetyRecruitment.com Call 1-800-343-HIRE with questions. APPLICATION AND REQUIRED DOCUMENTATION DUE BY NOON CDT, JULY 3, 2013 Mandatory orientation will be held on July 31, 2013 at 6:00 p.m. at Prospect High School, Mount Prospect, IL. Testing will be held on Aug. 3, 2013 at 8:00 a.m. at Prospect High School, Mount Prospect, IL. Starting Salary $56,115 with full benefits package EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER -M/F (id:4339311) OFFICE - Amvets seeks person for flex-ible hrs in N & NW suburbs Call from home. 815-609-1852 M-F 9:00a -12:00 noon (id:4340301) LABOR - LABOR -FT/PT Beverage equip service shop seeks labor help. Apply in person:Abesco Inc. 2200 Stonington Ave., Ste. 200 Hoffman Estates-847-884-9595 (id:4340030)
Connect with a business or service in your area fast. First select a town, then enter a search term or choose one of the listed popular searches:
Don't see your town listed? Visit our full directory to begin your search.
Powered by Local.com