Activate Your Free
Articles filed under Wayne Township
S. Elgin, Huntley, Burlington C. draw top seeds Feb 6, 2014 9:09 PM
There were few surprises Thursday when the IHSA released the seeds for the upcoming Class 3A and Class 4A girls basketball postseason. In Class 4A, all Fox Valley area teams feed into the Judson University supersectional, which will be hosted by Westminster Christian. Sectional winners from Addison Trail and Crystal Lake South will meet in that Elite Eight game.
Larkin will honor St. John Friday night Feb 6, 2014 10:26 PM
Elgin-area superfan Dave St. John will be recognized at halftime of Friday night’s boys basketball game between Larkin and Elgin for his unwavering support of the athletic programs of each high school. St. John, 77, has deep ties to both schools. He is a 1954 graduate of Elgin High, where he met his wife, Nila (Class of ‘56). The couple’s five sons later attended Larkin. Three played sports. St. John soon became a fixture at Larkin sporting events. He even worked the chains for Royals home football games for 10 years. “That’s when I got hooked,” he said.
Girls basketball/Fox Valley roundup Feb 5, 2014 10:22 PM
Bartlett 65, East Aurora 24: On Senior Night, Liz Arco had 17 points and 11 rebounds and Ally Giampapa added 11 points to lead the Hawks to an Upstate Eight Valley win. Lauren Janczak (15 points) and Kaitlin Brohan (10 points, 4 steals) also contributed for Bartlett (15-10, 8-3). Hampshire 58, Woodstock 36: Sara Finn and Emma Benoit each had 18 points to lead the Whip-Purs (9-13, 4-7) to a Fox Valley Conference Fox Division win. Tricia Dumoulin added 8 points for the winners. Cary-Grove 33, Jacobs 16: Sarah Kendeigh scored 10 points and Katie Barker added 8 to lead Cary-Grove (15-10, 6-5) in the FVC Valley. Talia Surges and Carly Sidor each had 4 points for Jacobs (5-19, 2-8). Harvest Christian 45, Keith 4: Kylee Knox had 13 points and Gabi Rodriguez added 11 points and 9 rebounds to lead Harvest (13-9, 7-2) in the Northeastern Athletic Conference. Prairie Ridge 55, Dundee-Crown 45: Jesenia Laboy had 19 points and Emily Michalski added 8 for Dundee-Crown (7-18, 2-9) in the FVC Valley.
Images: Barrington vs. South Elgin girls basketball Feb 5, 2014 10:11 PM
Barrington played South Elgin on Wednesday, Feb. 5 for girls basketball
Uveges coach-player tandem succeeds for South Elgin Feb 5, 2014 11:25 PM
Serving as the South Elgin junior varsity girls basketball coach the past four seasons, John Uveges has never lost a game. He is now undefeated as a varsity coach, too. Filling in for head coach Tim Prendergast, Uveges guided the Storm to a 50-41 nonconference victory at Barrington on Wednesday night. It also gave Uveges the rare opportunity to coach his daughter Savanah in a varsity girls basketball game.
U-46 considers Aug. 13 start for next school year Feb 5, 2014 11:51 AM
Elgin Area School District U-46 officials are considering starting the school year a week earlier, on Aug. 13, next school year and beyond. They are is seeking public input on the proposed calendars for 2014-15 and 2015-16.
Retiree bonuses cost taxpayers millions Feb 6, 2014 10:31 AM
Every July, thousands of Illinois Municipal Retirement Fund pensioners find a little something extra in their mailboxes in addition to their monthly pension check. In 2013, those little somethings added up to a big bill for taxpayers — $41,054,552. It’s called the “13th Payment,” and it’s essentially a bonus paid to retirees for simply living another year and outliving other retirees.
Charter group wants to open kindergarten to 8th-grade school Feb 5, 2014 3:18 PM
The Elgin Math and Science Charter School Initiative will conduct a community forum Tuesday at Gail Borden Public Library to answer questions about the group’s charter school proposal. “It’s going to be a presentation with more specifics about the school,” said Karen Schock, a retired U-46 teacher and president of the charter school initiative. “We want to really answer the questions people still have about the charter school.”
Larkin avoids South Elgin upset bid Feb 4, 2014 10:45 PM
The Larkin boys basketball team certainly feels lucky to get out of South Elgin on Tuesday night with a victory. The Royals nearly blew a 16-point lead by turning the ball over 11 times in the fourth quarter and allowing the Storm to score 30 points in the quarter, but held on for a 74-72 Upstate Eight crossover victory.
Boys basketball/Fox Valley roundup Feb 5, 2014 9:11 PM
Walther Christian 73, St. Edward 70: The Green Wave (16-6, 4-3) dropped their second-straight in a Suburban Christian Blue loss. Danny Favela led all scorers with 20 points while Nick Duffy and Joe French each chipped in 15 points for St. Edward. Gino Domel added 12 as well for the Wave. Hampshire 72, Crystal Lake Central 56: The Whip-Purs (8-11, 4-2) won their first game in 2 weeks due to some cancellations, dominating the Tigers in Fox Valley Conference Fox action. Matt Bridges led all scorers with 18 points while teammates Ryan Cork and Drew Doran scored 12 and 10 respectively. Harvest Christian 84, Westlake Christian 62: John Vislisel led the way with a team-high 21 points to go with 9 rebounds in the Lions’ nonconference win. Harvest (9-10) also received 19 points from Jake Adams while Brett Cramer notched 17 points. University 72, Elgin Academy 21: The Hilltoppers (2-11, 0-6) were unable to get their first conference win despite a team-high 10 points from Elliot Wittmeyer.
Harvest Christian’s Knox reaches 1,000 points Feb 4, 2014 10:14 PM
Harvest Christian 63, Westlake 38: Junior Kylee Knox eclipsed the 1,000-point mark for her career in the Lions’ (13-9) nonconference win at home. Knox poured in 32 points on 14 field goals, including 3 3-pointers. She also had 4 assists. “She played a great game; it was a huge honor for her,” Lions coach Kelly Friestad said. “She’s done so well for us the past three years, it was great to get to see her accomplish this and how her teammates rallied around her.” Larkin 59, Addison Trail 28: Behind a stellar defense, the Royals (9-15) were able to pick up the nonconference road victory. Victoria Patterson led all scorers with 19 points while freshman Marlee Kyles netted 13. Forward Rachel Martinez also scored 11 for the Royals. St. Edward 48, Hinckley-Big Rock 30: Freshman Madelyn Spagnola scored a game-high 17 points in the Green Wave’s nonconference win. Cecile Rapp registered in double figures as well with 10 points. St. Edward (14-8) received some good defense, holding the Royals to just 12 points at the half. Batavia 71, Elgin 28: Down two starters, the Maroons (6-18, 1-9) fell behind early in this Upstate Eight River home loss. Anna Eckholm scored a team-high 10 points for the Maroons. Burlington Central 63, Marengo 19: The Rockets (18-4, 9-0) were able to stay perfect in the Big Northern East, winning at home thanks to a trio of sophomores. Sam Pryor led all scorers with 12 points while Kayla Ross and Rebecca Gerke each finished with 11.
Hays, Versluys reach milestones in Westminster win Feb 4, 2014 10:48 PM
It was a night of milestones and records Tuesday for the Westminster Christian girls basketball team. And, the Warriors notched an impressive come-from-behind win to boot. Senior McKaila Hays became just the third Westminster girl in program history to reach 1,000 career points, sophomore Maddie Verluys scored a school-record 32 points and Westminster registered its 20th win of the season in defeating St. Francis 68-60 in a nonconference game in Elgin. Trailing 33-24 at halftime and then 43-24 after St. Francis senior Caroline Pins hit a 3-pointer with 6:10 left in the third quarter, Westminster (20-3) looked to be on the verge of its second straight loss.
Images: Daily Herald prep photos of the week Feb 4, 2014 1:00 AM
The Daily Herald Prep Photos of the Week gallery includes the best high school sports images by our photographers featuring the best from boys basketball, gymnastics and wrestling.
Crazy game, UEC Valley title to Neuqua Valley Feb 3, 2014 11:23 PM
Of the many words that could be used to describe Neuqua Valley’s 65-61 girls basketball win at South Elgin Monday night, one is all that’s needed. Craziness. In a game that saw 47 fouls called, 71 free throws attempted, two bloody lips, three technical fouls and one coach ejection, the end result was the Wildcats claiming their second straight Upstate Eight Valley championship.
U-46 to participate in national study on discipline Feb 3, 2014 10:10 PM
Elgin Area School District U-46 is among 10 school districts selected to participate in a nationwide study about effective disciplinary alternatives to suspensions and expulsions, Superintendent Jose Torres told the school board Monday night. As part of the study, administrators will be reviewing the district’s disciplinary policies and looking at alternative strategies to traditional discipline being tried out at school districts in other parts of the country.
U-46 superintendent to receive humanitarian award Feb 4, 2014 11:49 AM
Elgin Area School District U-46 Superintendent José Torres to receive humanitarian award, and other education beat news.
Girls basketball/Fox Valley roundup Feb 3, 2014 10:59 PM
Huntley 55, Wheeling 35: The Red Raiders (20-3) picked up their 20th win of the season and won their eighth straight in this nonconference victory. Sam Andrews led Huntley with 21 points and Ali Andrews added 19 to lead Huntley. Burlington Central 63, Genoa-Kingston 29: Thanks in part to a 32 point second quarter, the Rockets (17-4, 8-0) were able to cruise to victory on the road in this Big Northern Conference East game. Sam Pryor and Alison Colby both had 15 points on the night for the Rockets, who had every player on their roster play with 8 scoring at least once. Crossroads 29, Elgin Academy 23: Despite getting 10 points and 10 steals from junior Kaitlyn Pearson, the Hilltoppers fell to Crossroads in nonconference action.
Boys basketball/Fox Valley roundup Feb 3, 2014 10:53 PM
Westminster Christian 52, Faith Lutheran 29: The Warriors (11-10) got 18 points from Sam Carani and 10 from Dillon Rejman in a nonconference win at home. “We had a great first half, raced out to a big lead and had a chance to play a lot of players,” Warriors coach Bruch Firchau said. Crossroads 72, Elgin Academy 51: Sophomore Dietrich Robinson scored 30 points for Elgin Academy in this nonconference loss.
Images: South Elgin vs. Neuqua Valley girls basketball Feb 3, 2014 10:26 PM
South Elgin played Neuqua Valley Monday, Feb. 3 for girls basketball.
Reinhart, Schaumburg edge Westminster Christian Feb 1, 2014 8:36 PM
Trailing by as many 9 points in the first half, Schaumburg’s girls basketball team had an uphill battle against a team that was all about winning. Visiting Westminster Christian came into Saturday’s nonconference matinee with a sparkling 19-2 record. “It was nerve-wracking,” said Schaumburg guard Brittany Reinhart. “I’m still shaking.” But the 5-foot-7 junior looked calm as could be when she stood at the free throw line with her team leading by 1 point and 29.3 seconds remaining in the fourth quarter. Reinhart sank 2 free throws which proved to be the decisive points in the Saxons’ 50-49 triumph over the Warriors, a class 2A team which advanced to the Elite Eight of the 1A state tourney a year ago.
- Police still seek man who threatened Delnor visitor
- Northwest suburban measles case confirmed
- Mundelein teen pleads guilty to sister's fatal stabbing
- Police reports detail abuse before Arlington Hts. husband-wife murder
- COD to vote again on Breuder severance package
- Trooper injured in I-88 crash seeks homicide charges against truck driver
- Hampshire pays a fitting tribute to a worthy Goebbert
- School looking for instruments to jump-start a jazz band
- Elgin man dies of injuries from morning crash
- Former Arlington Heights mayor Mulder picked for racing board
- Monday night: Where is the asteroid now?
- Crystal Lake couple, 6 others charged in $600,000 tax scheme
- Big challenge ahead for Bears' Fangio
- Pyke: Lack of plowing leaves cyclists on thin ice
- Dawn Patrol: Former Kane sheriff dies; winds force early end to Norge event
- Which regional roads offer the least pleasant drives?
- Former Kane County Sheriff George Kramer dies at 81
- DuPage County judge remembered as advocate for children
- Elk Grove man facing trial on sex abuse charges
- Yogurt founder gets 5 years in prison for arson
- Tell the truth on global warming
- COD to vote again on Breuder severance package
- Toxicology results likely next week for Blackhawks staffer Reif
- Be prepared for tax increases
- Elgin boy killed in accident remembered as outgoing
- DuPage County judge remembered as advocate for children
- Bartlett teen collects funds for prosthetic leg
- Mundelein candidate slams branding project
- Deli chain expanding to Naperville
- Why fake-news industry isn't afraid of Facebook changes
- WINDOW CLEANING - Maintenance -Exp'd Window Cleaners Wanted $12-$17/hr. Ground, Route & High Rise Work Available. We supply the equipment & training if necessary. Must have a valid DL & authorization to work in the US & a dependable vehicle for local transportation. Apply in person only at 960 Rand Rd Suite 113c Des Plaines Monday-Friday 10am-3pm. (id:4396637) INVENTORY - Inventory Taker PT -NW Chicago, Overnights, No exp. nec. Must be 18+ & Reliable Transportation. RGIS 630-372-6349 www.rgisinv.com (id:4396426) CNA'S - Health Care -CNAs FT for 3p-11p & 11p-7a shift & Weekend Only Program & PT for all weekend shifts. Ask about our new weekend incentive. Compassionate, reliable, & customer service oriented individuals please apply with Karina Negrete, Nursing Scheduler at Lee Manor -1301 Lee St., Des Plaines 847-827-5796 Fax (id:4396628)
- ESTIMATOR \PM - Peter Baker and Son Co -Estimator -PM position open for heavy highway construction projects. See www.peterbaker.com for information. Send resume to email@example.com. EOE M-F-D-V (id:4396553) FIREFIGHTER/PARAMEDIC - The City of Bloomington,IL now scheduling testing for Entry-Level Firefighter-Paramedics! www.cityblm.org EOE (id:4396072) PLUMBER - PLUMBER -Licensed plumber for in-house corporate sal-aried position in Western Suburbs. CCCDI certification a plus, or CCCDI licensing can be provided by the company. For details -331-481-1742 (id:4396471)
- WATER PLANT OPERATOR - WATER PLANT OPERATOR Village of Glencoe seeks Water Plant Operator in PW Dept. Reports to Water Plant Supt., operates, maintains and repairs water treatment facilty equipment. Shift schedule. State of IL Cl C-D operator license desirable. Sal. $56,256. Cover Letter, resume & appl. to 675 Village Ct., Glencoe, IL 60022, Attn: Mgr's Office by 4pm Feb 20, 2015. Appls. Avail at: www.villageofglencoe.org EOE (id:4396185) SENIOR RESEARCHER - USG Corporation is seeking a Senior Researcher in Libertyville, IL with the following requirements: Ph.D. or Ph.D. candidate who has successfully completed coursework and dissertation defense requirement in the field of Chemical Engineering or related engineering or science discipline, plus 3 years of related experience including: use StarCCM+ and FLUENT computer programs to perform simulations; conduct research into modeling and simulation of turbulent flow; publish peer-reviewed articles and technical reports and present at conferences; code computational fluid dynamic software and web-based application using C++, MATLAB and FORTRAN. 25% travel required; must reside within normal commuting distance of Libertyville, IL. Please apply online at http:usg.com-careers using job reference number RES10064. (id:4396631) RECEPTIONIST - Medical Office in Schaumburg. Experience pref'd. Email resumes to: firstname.lastname@example.org (id:4396444)
Connect with a business or service in your area fast. First select a town, then enter a search term or choose one of the listed popular searches:
Don't see your town listed? Visit our full directory to begin your search.