Registration is under way for Glenbard North High School's first Middle School Engineering Challenge, which will be held on Friday, Nov. 10. This event is an opportunity for middle school students to compete against other students in hands-on, problem-solving, engineering-based challenges.
At the event, teams of two will complete one engineering challenge together from the category of their choice. Below are short descriptions of this year's four challenge categories. Teams will be given a problem, directions, and materials to complete the requirements of their challenge. Winners in each category will be presented awards. Glenbard North teachers will be on hand to provide directions and help students, where needed.
Engineering -- Design & prototype a set of steps that can be performed in different sequences & repeated as needed
Invention/Innovation -- Identify criteria and constraints to create a new system.
Structural Technology -- Construct a structure using a variety of processes and procedures.
Transportation Technology -- Construct a transportation vehicle using systems that work together effectively.
• 4:30-4:45 p.m.: Arrival to field house
• 4:45-5 p.m.: Introductions, directions, and the answering of any questions
• 5 -6:15 p.m.: Engineering challenges (all four running simultaneously)
• 6:15-6:45 p.m.: Judging and pizza dinner
• 6:45-7 p.m.: Awards
Follow the steps below before Oct. 27 to register (no walk-up registrations accepted).
The entry fee is $10 per team and includes all materials for competition and dinner for each student.
1. Students choose a teammate (two students max per team).
2. Teammates choose the challenge category they wish to compete in.
One of the team's parents completes the Google Registration Form at bit.ly/2ydeCCv
3. Mail your entry fee to: Glenbard North High School, Attn: Jon O'Brien, 990 Kuhn Rd, Carol Stream, IL 60188. Make checks payable to Glenbard North High School and on the memo line write Engineering Challenge. Envelope must be postmarked by Oct. 27.
4. You will receive registration confirmation the week before (using the email provided on the Google Form).
For further information, contact Jon O'Brien, Industrial Technology teacher, at (630) 681-3112 or email@example.com.