• Charges are not evidence of guilt. Under law, individuals are presumed innocent until proven guilty.
Contact information ( * required )
• Burglars broke into a 2008 Chevrolet Express an on the 1600 block of South Princeton between noon March 14 and 8 a.m. March 17 and into a 2007 Chevrolet Express van on the 1200 block of South Salem between 10:30 p.m. March 16 and 7:20 a.m. March 17. Nothing appeared to be missing one van, but five nail guns, a cordless drill and miter saw were taken out of the other one. Value was estimated at $1,300.
• A man and woman were seen on a security video near a purse between 3:30 and 4 p.m. March 15 in a shopping cart at the Goodwill store, 1551 N. Dryden. The offenders apparently rolled the cart to the other side of the store; a purse valued at $340 was missing.
• Thieves entered an unlocked Ford Escape between 11 p.m. March 12 and 5 a.m. March 13 in an apartment lot on the 1400 block of East Ashland Avenue. They opened the hood and stole a computerized or electronic control unit for the vehicle's engine. Value was estimated at $1,000.
• Vandals used black paint to spray graffiti on two park benches in Lake Opeka, 1175 E. Howard Ave., between March 7 and 12. Damage was estimated at $100.
• Thieves stole the aftermarket bumper guard between Feb. 28 and March 4 from the front of a semitractor in a lot at 1801 S. Elmhurst Road. Value was estimated at $1,200.
• Thieves stole a cellphone between 6 p.m. March 8 and 1 a.m. March 9 out of a jacket in a business at 2777 S. Mannheim Road.
Elk Grove Village
• Joseph W. Brick, 33, of the 1500 block of Whitcomb, Des Plaines, was arrested around 8 a.m. March 6 at Victoria Lane and Elk Grove Boulevard and charged with theft. His court date is March 27.
• Robert W. Hayes Jr., 46, of the 15900 block of Vera Court, Oak Forest, was arrested around 10 a.m. March 3 at 901 Wellington Ave. and charged with theft. His court date is March 27.
• Burglars removed the chain and padlock between March 7 and 10 from the entrance gate at the ComEd substation, 2065 Tonne Road, and stole a personal toolbox and several tools belonging to Com Ed out of a 2008 Dodge Ram utility truck. Value was estimated at $16,100.
• A Palatine resident was scammed out of $5,642 on March 4 when a man phoned claiming to be an IRS representative. He told the victim back taxes were overdue and threatened jail time if the taxes were not paid immediately. The caller demanded that the victim make payment through Money-Pak cards and the victim complied.