The YWCA Elgin is hosting its 31st annual Leader Luncheon on Thursday, May 8, at the Seville, Streamwood. There is still time to submit your nominations for women leaders in the community.
This event is attended by hundreds of community leaders, business representatives and volunteers who acknowledge and honor women in the Elgin area that have made significant contributions to the following categories:
Contact information ( * required )
• Margaret Hillis Award for the Arts: Hillis was the Elgin Symphony Orchestra music director for 14 years and conducted the Chicago Symphony Chorus for 35 years.
• Beatrice Dorsey Award for Business and Professions: A successful local business woman for 45 years, Dorsey was instrumental in assisting women to succeed in business.
• Marguerite Henry Award for Communications/Technology: Author of over 50 books including children's classics, Henry held many prestigious national literacy awards.
• Harriet Gifford & Hattie Griffin Award for Education: Gifford established the first school in Elgin in 1836, initiating the foundation for local educational systems. Co-founder of the YWCA Elgin, Hattie Griffin, was an educator for more than 50 years.
• Myrtle Spiegler Award for Public Service: As the first woman to assume the position of Elgin City Clerk, Spiegler designed the city flag and paved the way for women to actively participate in the field of public service.
• Marie Grolich Award for Social Service: As executive director of the YWCA of Elgin for 20 years, Grolich spearheaded many innovative programs to benefit the entire community.
• Marjorie Leonard Award for Volunteer/Community Service: As a volunteer and humanitarian, Leonard donated countless hours to civic organizations and social agencies.
• Award for Racial Justice: One award will be given to a woman who has demonstrated achievement and leadership in the field of Racial Justice.
Do you know a woman in the Elgin area that has demonstrated qualities of leadership and commitment to excellence in any of the above categories? If so, please nominate her for the YWCA Elgin Leader Luncheon Award.
Deadline for submissions is 4 p.m. Thursday, March 20. Hard copies of nomination forms were mailed in January and are also available at the YWCA Elgin, 220 E. Chicago St. Electronic nomination forms are available online at ywcaelgin.org. Call the YWCA at (847) 742-7930 for more information.