The first quarter of the school year is already behind us and second quarter classes are well under way.
In the process of learning about our staff and students, I asked staff members to submit their thoughts as to why parents should choose Community High School for their child's high school education. Here is a sampling of their responses:
Contact information ( * required )
• Staff and students are welcoming and accepting of different cultures and ideas.
• An extensive dual credit program exists here; students can earn credit at College of DuPage while in high school.
• CHS continually strives to deliver options to meet the needs of all students.
• Opportunities abound for student involvement; students may choose from 22 sports and 34 clubs/activities.
• 87 percent of the Class of 2013 continued their education beyond high school.
• CHS offers unique courses, including an extensive U.S. government simulation, interdisciplinary studies, critical reading, and community leadership.
• CHS is a community where students can find their own voice and express themselves as individuals, and are comfortable having friends in multiple peer groups.
• Students feel safe at school and feel united as a student body.
• Service to others is a hallmark of our school's identity; it is interwoven into the curriculum and is evident throughout extracurricular programs. The learning family at CHS works tirelessly to help students find a path to success and make their high school experience positive.
As part of our school climate survey last spring, students told us CHS Wildcats are:
• Great because everyone wants the best for you no matter what.
• Fun to be around.
• A caring group of people who are ambitious and will get where they want to go in life and do it in a creative way.
• Known for working together as if we are a family.
• Independent and creative.
• Well-prepared for our next steps after high school.
We welcome visitors to see firsthand why Community High School is a great place learn and grow. Visit us and see why our students want to be here!
• Douglas Domeracki is superintendent of Community High School District 94 in West Chicago. His column appears monthly during the school year.