Breaking News Bar
updated: 7/6/2013 10:45 AM

No injuries in Island Lake cigarette store fire

hello
Success - Article sent! close
 
 

A fire in a walk-in cooler at an Island Lake cigarette store early Saturday morning caused an unknown amount of damage.

The store's alarm system alerted crews to the fire shortly after 8 a.m. Saturday, at about the same time an employee arrived to open Cigarette Depot at 125 E. State Road, said Wauconda Fire Department Division Chief Al Schlick.

Order Reprint Print Article
 
Interested in reusing this article?
Custom reprints are a powerful and strategic way to share your article with customers, employees and prospects.
The YGS Group provides digital and printed reprint services for Daily Herald. Complete the form to the right and a reprint consultant will contact you to discuss how you can reuse this article.
Need more information about reprints? Visit our Reprints Section for more details.

Contact information ( * required )

Success - request sent close

"He was opening the door and we were on our way," Schlick said. "It had been smoldering for quite some time."

Schlick said fire was contained to the cooler. Schlick said a malfunctioning light might be the cause.

"Walk-in coolers have lights and there are combustibles in there," he said.

Crews from Nunda Fire Protection District and Lake Zurich were on hand to assist. Schlick said the fire was quickly contained and there was no damage to surrounding stores in the strip mall.

Share this page
Comments ()
Guidelines: Keep it civil and on topic; no profanity, vulgarity, slurs or personal attacks. People who harass others or joke about tragedies will be blocked. If a comment violates these standards or our terms of service, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box. To find our more, read our FAQ.