For more information call 847-391-5300/847-391-5312/April 15, 2013
June 29 Deadline For 2013-2014 Vehicle Stickers and Pet Licenses
Contact information ( * required )
Vehicle stickers for 2013-2014 will go on sale Wednesday, May 1, 2013, at City Hall, 1420 Miner Street, as well as at various currency exchanges. All owners that have vehicles registered in Des Plaines or have vehicles stored in the City are required to purchase and display a current Des Plaines vehicle sticker. This includes leased vehicles, company cars and vehicles registered to a Des Plaines address but housed in another town (i.e., college, military) should they be used on City streets.
Residents who have purchased a 2012-2013 City sticker will be mailed a pre-printed renewal form the last week in April. If you do not receive a form by Wednesday, May 15, 2013, please call 847-391-5319 or stop by City Hall for an application.
Residents are encouraged to use the pre-printed application forms and mail their applications using the pre-printed return address payment envelopes. Using the pre-printed forms and return address payment envelopes allows the City to use automation in processing your City sticker application and saves a considerable amount of labor costs. Mailed payments will be processed the same day with stickers mailed within 3-5 business days. The mail system helps residents avoid long lines at City Hall. Payment envelopes must be postmarked by Saturday, June 29, 2013 to be considered on time.
Residents may also bring their pre-printed forms, should they decide not to mail their forms, to various currency exchanges or come in person to City Hall, 1420 Miner Street, during normal business hours. Normal business hours for City Hall are 8 AM -- 5 PM, Monday -- Friday. Additionally, City Hall will have extended vehicle sticker hours, 9 AM -- Noon, Saturdays, June 22
and June 29, and 8 AM -- 6 PM, Monday -- Friday, June 24-28. The Des Plaines Police Department, 1418 Miner St., will also accept pre-printed forms with payment by check only after normal business hours and on weekends.
The last day to purchase vehicle stickers at the regular rate is Saturday, June 29, 2013. During the month of July stickers are an additional $10, and beginning August 1, full late fees are in effect.
• 2013-2014 stickers are valid from July 1, 2013 -- June 30, 2014. The sticker must be displayed on the lower left (driver's side) of the windshield.
• Senior citizen rates apply to a resident 65 years and older during the current sticker year. A valid driver's license and vehicle registration must be provided with the first year request for the reduced fee. A senior citizen rate of $5 is available for only one passenger vehicle sticker per household per year.
• Residents under the age of 65 who have been awarded social security disability benefits are also entitled to a discounted city sticker at the $5 rate. The benefit award letter, the vehicle registration, and a valid driver's license must be shown to receive the reduced rate. Only one passenger vehicle sticker per household per year is allowed at the disability rate.
• License plate numbers are required on all applications. The only exception to this is if the plates for a new car have not yet been received. New residents and newly purchased car owners have 45 days to purchase and display stickers, regardless of whether or not the plates have been received.
• Transfer/replacement stickers may be obtained by presenting scrapings of a present valid sticker. Transfer to a vehicle in the same class is $5, and a transfer between classes is $5 plus the difference in scheduled fees, if any. The 2013-2014 stickers automatically become invalid upon removal from the windshield. If the sticker is placed on another vehicle's windshield, the owner of the vehicle is subject to an $80 fine for not displaying a valid vehicle sticker.
• Pet licenses are sold at the same time and have the same validity dates as vehicle stickers. Pre-printed forms will also be mailed for pet licenses. Pet owners must provide the current rabies number and expiration date.
The fee structure for 2013-2014 vehicle stickers is as follows:
Class & Fee Schedule Code Fee $10 Late Fee
July 1-31 Full Late Fee
Passenger Vehicles A1 30.00 40.00 80.00
Senior Citizens (65 & over) /
Disabled S1 5.00 15.00 30.00
Motorcycle M1 20.00 30.00 60.00
Trucks -- Class B B1 39.00 49.00 88.00
-- Class D D1 88.00 98.00 186.00
-- Class F F1 113.00 123.00 236.00
-- Class H H1 130.00 140.00 270.00
-- Class J J1 138.00 148.00 286.00
-- Class K K1 147.00 157.00 304.00
-- All Other Classes N1 163.00 173.00 336.00
Antique Vehicles Q1 6.00 16.00 32.00
Recreation Vehicles (RV) R1 38.00 48.00 86.00
Buses U1 63.00 73.00 136.00
For Hire W1 40.00 50.00 90.00
Passenger X1 5.00 15.00 30.00
All Others X2 10.00 20.00 40.00