• Charges are not evidence of guilt. Under law, individuals are presumed innocent until proven guilty.
Contact information ( * required )
• Griffin A. Top, 24, of the 2500 block of Clinton Street, River Grove, was arrested around 1:30 a.m. Sept. 19 on the 2900 block of South River Road and charged with felony aggravated unlawful use of a weapon, unlawful use of a weapon, theft (possession of stolen property), expired registration, and operating an uninsured motor vehicle. According to reports, officers found a loaded 9 mm handgun that had been reported stole in Schiller Park under the front passenger's seat. A court date is Sept. 21.
• Joel Chavez-Contreras, 21, of the 1400 block of Willow Avenue, Des Plaines, was arrested around 5:30 p.m. Sept. 19, after a traffic stop on the 1600 block of Thacker Street, and charged with possession of drug paraphernalia (marijuana pipe). He was a passenger in the car. His court date is Oct. 15.
• Vandals hurled rocks that broke a large window at the front entrance to the Des Plaines Library, 1501 E. Ellinwood St., between 11 p.m. Sept. 17 and 1:30 a.m. Sept. 18. Damage was estimated at $1,000.
• Burglars stole an in-dash stereo out of a 1997 Honda Accord in an apartment lot on the 700 block of Huntington Commons Road between 9:30 p.m. Sept. 17 and 5 p.m. Sept. 18. Value was estimated at $100.
• Vandals cut the cloth top on a 2003 BMW convertible in an apartment lot on the 600 block of Huntington Commons Road between 8 p.m. Sept. 18 and 8:15 a.m. Sept. 19. Damage was estimated at $200.
• Burglars stole a GPS unit valued at $80 out of a 1997 Chevrolet Cavalier in a driveway on the 100 block of East Clarendon Street between 12:30 and 7:20 a.m. Sept. 17. According to reports, Highland Park officers later found the GPS with several subjects.
• Vandals hurled rocks that broke a rear window at two shops in the Gaslight Plaza, 737 W. Dundee Road, between 8:30 p.m. Sept. 18 and 9:30 a.m. Sept. 19. Damage was estimated at $100.
• Burglars broke into a 2003 Mitsubishi Lancer in an apartment lot on the 1200 block of Forums Court between 9:30 p.m. Sept. 12 and 5:30 a.m. Sept. 13 and stole an iPod with charger and USB cable. Value was estimated at $338.
• Burglars stole a wallet out of a 2003 Nissan 350Z and a purse out of an unlocked 2006 Toyota Sienna in apartment lots on the 900 and 1000 blocks of Valley Stream Drive between 9 a.m. and 2:15 p.m. Sept. 15 and took $15 out of the purse. The wallet was found in Childerly Park and nothing appeared to be missing. A neighbor found the purse in nearby bushes. It's the second time in a month someone has burglarized the Sienna.
• Thieves stole 17 sewer catch basins from a construction site on the 400 block of Stone Place between Sept. 3 and 14. Value was estimated at $2,125.