• John E. Hegel, 64, of the 500 block of Lavoie Avenue in Elgin, appeared in bond court Wednesday on a felony charge of reckless discharge of a firearm and a misdemeanor charge of damage to property, according to court documents. Police responded shortly before 3 p.m. Tuesday to the 600 block of Bent Avenue and found a bullet hole in the back patio sliding door of the home and aligned holes in the curtain and wall, according to police reports. After a search of the area, officers found shell casings on Hegel's property next door; he told police he was shooting at squirrels in his backyard with a rifle and accidentally hit his neighbor's home, reports said. No one was hurt by the stray bullet. Bail was set at $10,000 Wednesday. Hegel is next due in court July 27 in St. Charles.
Contact information ( * required )
• Connie F. Bradshaw, 44, of the 200 block of Moseley Street in Elgin, appeared in bond court Monday on felony charges of aggravated battery to a police officer and a misdemeanor charge of resisting a police officer, according to court records. Bradshaw hit and spit on a police officer after an arrest Sunday when officers were called for an unfounded domestic battery complaint, according to Elgin police. Bail was set at $50,000 Monday, of which Bradshaw must pay 10 percent to be released before her next court date, set for July 18 in St. Charles.
• An Elgin woman reported the use of her credit card Tuesday after charges totaling $341 were posted to her account, according to police reports. Two unauthorized transactions were for purchases from a Safeway store in Virginia; a third was from a Virginia Walmart, reports said.
• An Elgin man reported the use of his credit card Tuesday based on unauthorized transactions totaling $460 that were made in May and June to DISH Network, according to police reports.
• Juan B, Diaz, 24, of the 900 block of Berkley Street, Carpentersville, and Edelmira Diaz, 22, of the 800 block of Salem Lane, Carpentersville, were arrested and charged with battery and disorderly conduct at 11:17 p.m. Friday after an altercation with another man and woman on the 14N600 block of Route 25 near East Dundee, according to a sheriff's report.
• A GPS and MP3 player were stolen from an unlocked 2008 Ford Focus in the 35W600 block of Old Barn Road near West Dundee between 2 a.m. and 1 p.m. Saturday.
• Someone stole a GPS unit from a 2000 Jeep Cherokee on the 10N300 block of Prairie Crossing near Elgin between 8:30 p.m. Monday and 6:30 p.m. Tuesday.
• Someone used rocks to break the windows on a John Deere excavator at Bolcum and Crane roads near St. Charles between 5 p.m. July 7 and 5 a.m. Monday, causing $1,800 damage.
• A 2002 Chevy Trailblazer was reported stolen from the 14N600 block of Timber Ridge Drive near Elgin between 6:30 p.m. Friday and 7:12 p.m. Saturday.