Steel Beam Theatre in downtown St. Charles is taking registration for its upcoming summer theater camps for children ages 6 through high school. A variety of programs are being offered for these performance camps, and each one is professionally staffed.
For details or to register, visit SteelBeamTheatre.com or call (630) 587-8521. Spots are limited and scholarships are available to families in need.
Contact information ( * required )
• "Shakespeare with Bernie," for ages 12 to 15; $195. Classes are 1 to 4 p.m. June 13-25; performance is at 3 p.m. June 25. This is monologue development with public performance.
• "Poultry in Motion," for ages 6 to 10; $295. Classes are from 9 a.m. to noon, June 20 to July 1; performances are 10:30 a.m. and 1 p.m. July 2. Chicken Little, Foxy Loxy, Henny Penny and farmyard friends are directed by Daina Giesler.
• "Faery Free for All," for ages 8 to 13; $295. Classes are from 1 to 4 p.m. June 27 to July 8; no class July 4. Performances are at 10:30 a.m. and 1 p.m. July 9. This is a cross between "Midsummer Night's Dream" and Harry Potter. It is directed by Daina Giesler.
• "The Little Mermaid," for ages 6 to 15; $395. Classes are from 9 a.m. to noon July 5-22. Performances are at 10:30 a.m. and 1 p.m. Saturday, July 23, and 3 p.m. Sunday, July 24. This is a fully-staged musical production of the beloved tale of our favorite mermaid. It is directed by Daina Giesler.
• Stage Combat/Movement Class, Rethink How You Move for ages 11 to 14. Instructors are Bonnie Gruesen and Matt Socha. Tuition is $150. Dates are from 9 a.m. to noon July 18-22 at the SBT Rehearsal Space. Matt and Bonnie are SAID Stage Combat certified and will be touching on the fundamentals of unarmed stage combat. Students will also learn basic gymnastics and a plethora of movement exercises. The session ends with an informal showcase for family and friends.
• Improvisational Comedy Class, Because There's A Way To Be Even Funnier, for high school students, including entering ninth grade. Instructor is Bonnie Gruesen. Tuition is $250. Dates are from 1 to 4 p.m. June 27 to July 8 at the SBT Rehearsal Space. There is no class July 4. Learn how to shape and edit a scene, look for games, make clear initiations and develop a group mind with your fellow performers. The session will end with a public improv show at Steel Beam Theatre at 7 p.m. Friday, July 8. Tickets will be available.