Activate Your Free
Articles filed under Elmhurst
Mindfulness and Soul Care Mar 10, 2015 3:00 PM
Mindfulness is the act of paying purposeful attention to the present moment. It offers us a way to enjoy our lives more and reduce stress through a few simple practices.
2015 Illinois 4-H Junior Leadership Conference Mar 10, 2015 3:00 PM
More than 100 seventh and eighth grade youth learned ways to improve their leadership skills at the 2015 Illinois 4-H Junior Leadership Conference held Feb. 28 and March 1 at the Decatur Conference Center and Hotel in Decatur.
New exhibit tells history of Elmhurst in modern ways Mar 5, 2015 12:40 PM
"By All Accounts: The Story of Elmhurst," a new exhibit at the Elmhurst Historical Museum, uses technology and historic artificats to tell the city's nearly 165-year-old history.
“American Ingenuity” theme of Fox Valley Antiques Show Mar 4, 2015 3:29 PM
“American Ingenuity” will be the theme of the upcoming Fox Valley Antiques Show on March 14-15 in St. Charles. The focus will be on design elements of our past, highlighting the ability of top decorators to incorporate those elements into today’s modern look. Blending “old with new” is currently evident in nearly every decorating magazine, catalog and TV show. Antiques are so commonly used that many of the top stores offer reproductions at prices much higher than the cost of an original.
Be bold, get cold for Special Olympics Illinois in Lake Bluff on Saturday Mar 9, 2015 4:11 PM
Be a fan of brrr-avery! Support Special Olympics athletes by jumping into the waters of Lake Bluff at 1 p.m. Saturday, March 7. The funds raised from the Law Enforcement Torch Run Polar Plunge will benefit Special Olympics Illinois Far West Suburban/Area 2, which serves athletes with intellectual disabilities in DuPage, Kane and Kendall counties.
Budget-friendly fun: Hounds of Finn, Gospel Extravaganza sing Mar 3, 2015 12:27 PM
The Minnesota-based band Hounds of Finn will play folk plus Celtic and Americana music Saturday, March 7, at Lombard's Maple Street Chapel. It’s Gospel time when the Elmhurst College Gospel Choir hosts its Gospel Extravaganza Saturday. Performers include the more-than-50-member Joshua’s Troop, with hip-hop, urban and contemporary gospel songs.
Modern style intersects with history at Fox Valley Antiques Show Mar 10, 2015 5:52 PM
Come find your original (not a mass-produced, “Made in Taiwan” copy) at the Fox Valley Antiques Show. The gathering will feature 55 dealers from 14 states, bringing a great variety of 18th- to early-20th century antiques to St. Charles on March 14-15.
NIU Law Dean Rosato Perea named to 2015 Lawyers of Color Power List Mar 12, 2015 7:31 PM
Northern Illinois University College of Law Dean Jennifer Rosato Perea has been named to the 2015 Lawyers of Color Fourth Annual Power List, a comprehensive catalog of the nation’s most influential minority attorneys and nonminority diversity advocates.
Suburban O'Hare Commission hires consultants to help battle airport noise Feb 27, 2015 8:35 AM
A group of towns near O'Hare International Airport has hired two consulting firms to assist them in their battle against airport noise. The Suburban O'Hare Commission, a group of 11 governmental entities in Northwest suburban Cook County and northern DuPage County, announced Thursday the hiring of aviation experts who will provide the group technical data and help lobbying federal, state and Chicago officials in hopes of reducing airport noise, officials said.
Predict the Oscars Contest names winner at York Theatre Feb 27, 2015 11:05 PM
Movie stars graced the red carpet, acceptance speeches were made and the 2015 Oscars ceremony has now come to a close. After hours of sorting and counting, Classic Cinemas is proud to announce the winners of the annual “Predict the Oscars” contest. Elmhurst resident Joanne Sells takes home the prize for the York Theatre, and will receive a yearlong movie pass for one valid at any Classic Cinemas theatre, and two passes to the Brookfield Zoo.
Lake County 4-H holds International Festival Mar 5, 2015 1:41 PM
The annual Lake County 4-H International Festival was held Feb. 22 at the Lake County Fairgrounds.
Author appearances: Mary Doria Russell signs books in Gurnee Feb 27, 2015 10:10 AM
Mary Doria Russell, author of "Epitaph," discusses her book at 7 p.m. Tuesday, March 3, at the Warren-Newport Public Library, 224 N. O'Plaine Road, Gurnee. Visit wnpl.info.
Illinois Gun Owner Lobby Day Wednesday, March 18, 2015 Feb 26, 2015 11:11 AM
The Illinois State Rifle Association and IllinoisCarry.com will be sponsoring their annual Illinois Gun Owner Lobby Day (IGOLD) on Wednesday, March 18, 2015 in Springfield, IL.
Breaking the Code Feb 23, 2015 10:17 AM
Breaking the Code (BTC) is a research-based prevention simulation that highlights the existence and harmfulness of a hidden and unchallenged bullying social structure.
Oak Brook-based IMRF launches new website, corporate brand Feb 23, 2015 10:39 AM
The Illinois Municipal Retirement Fund (IMRF) – the best-funded statewide public pension in Illinois – launched a new and improved website and corporate brand earlier this month. The new website, www.imrf.org, features a modern design, easier readability, enhanced navigation, and much more. IMRF – the state’s second-largest public pension plan with 400,000 members and nearly 3,000 employers – also adopted a new logo and brand color scheme that better symbolize its successful pension plan model and status as a national leader in the public pension industry. “We took a thoughtful, structured approach to ensure our new website meets the needs of active members, retirees and units of government participating in IMRF,” said IMRF Executive Director Louis W. Kosiba. “No matter what you are looking for, the new website will make it easier than ever to find what you need as quickly as possible.” The modernized website provides information about IMRF’s retirement plans written in clear and concise language. In addition, the site includes the option of displaying text in larger sizes for improved readability. The website also features a robust search function to help more accurately pinpoint articles that answer users’ questions – as well as a mobile version of the site compatible with smartphones or tablets. In advance of the launch, IMRF sent a website preview to a random sample of 6,000 members, retirees and employers to collect feedback on site changes. Of the IMRF members and retirees who responded, about 93 percent described the new website as either “very easy” or “easy” to navigate. In addition, about 96 percent agreed or strongly agreed that the website text appeared “easy to read.” Of the employers who responded to the survey, 97 percent found the website “very easy” or “easy” to navigate. “We’ve been looking forward to adopting an intuitive, user-friendly navigation system for some time now,” said Kosiba. “Also, our staff can now manage the website more efficiently and instantaneously share important public announcements.” New logo, website reflects IMRF’s commitment to excellence The new IMRF brand and logo reflect the plan’s focus on customer service. Over the last decade, IMRF has consistently ranked in the top 15 percent of participating public pensions for overall customer service, according to a CEM Benchmarking, Inc. study. The new logo, for example, symbolizes the horizon of opportunities available to IMRF members and retirees. The arc represents the guidance, direction and pathway that IMRF provides. “Whether you’re an IMRF member, retiree or participating employer, our new logo reinforces that IMRF is with you on every step of your journey toward a secure retirement,” said Kosiba. “Retirees should think of our new logo as our sacred promise to continue to provide financial security.” For an overview of the new website, please watch the video series here: http://bit.ly/1F76wIp. About IMRF The Illinois Municipal Retirement Fund (IMRF) was created by the Illinois General Assembly. Since 1941, IMRF has partnered with local units of government to provide retirement, disability and death benefits for public employees. With a funded status of 97 percent and $34 billion in assets, IMRF is well-funded and sustainable. Today, IMRF has about 400,000 members and serves nearly 3,000 different units of government, including towns and villages, libraries and park districts, and counties and school districts (non-teaching personnel). The average member who retired in 2013 had 22 years of service and received an annual benefit of about $16,500. For more information, visit www.imrf.org.
Images: IC Catholic Prep vs. Christ the King, girls basketball Feb 19, 2015 9:08 PM
IC Catholic Prep played Christ the King in Class 2A sectional final girls basketball in Elmhurst on Thursday.
400 dancers in Des Plaines Dance Idol competion Feb 21, 2015 1:07 PM
More than 400 dancers from 18 studios and three independent dancers participated in the annual Des Plaines Dance Idol Competition at Prairie Lakes Community Center. “This is the seventh year of Dance Idol and it is exciting to see how this dance convention has become what it is today,” said Nancy Suwalski, cultural arts supervisor for the Des Plaines Park District.
'The New Jim Crow' author to visit Benedictine April 21 Mar 12, 2015 10:02 PM
The impact of racial injustice in the American legal system will be the focus of a free lecture by civil-rights-lawyer-turned-legal-scholar Michelle Alexander at 7 p.m. Tuesday, April 21, at Benedictine University. She is the author of the 2010 book, “The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Color Blindness.” In advance of her presentation, Benedictine is encouraging members of the public to join a communitywide reading group and series of weekly discussions related to the book and its theme.
Dining events: Lou’s Pizza Factory opens in Arlington Heights Feb 18, 2015 6:00 AM
Lou’s Pizza Factory recently opened under co-owners Lou Castiello and Jeffery Staadt in the space formerly occupied by the 30s Pizza Factory. Lou’s serves pizzas, pastas, sandwiches and calzones, all-you-can-eat crab legs and gluten-free items. Join Francesca’s Amici’s Taste of California five-course wine dinner at 6:30 p.m. Wednesday, Feb. 25.
On the cheap: Chill out at Hawthorn Woods' Winter Carnival Feb 17, 2015 6:00 AM
Do you wanna build a snowman? Hawthorn Woods celebrates the season with a snowman-building contest, sledding, old-fashioned wagon rides, music, games, entertainment, refreshments and more at its free Winter Carnival in Community Park. Don't miss two free days at the Shedd, too, Feb. 23-24.
- Police: Grayslake bank robber in custody
- 15 trucks hit new railroad bridge in Bensenville
- Who wins, loses under Illinois school funding proposal
- Getting crowded
- Prosecutor: Family heard murder victim's screams
- Cause of 5-vehicle crash on Rte. 53 investigated
- Schaumburg says yes to high-end apartment complex
- Ex-Buffalo Grove resident, Grammy Award-winning pianist returns
- Mount Prospect police release video of fatal hit-and-run crash
- Judge: Grayslake charter school should not have been renewed
- Earthquake reported west of Lake in the Hills
- Muslim parents: Our kids are not terrorists
- Police: Huntley man killed his wife
- Prosecutor: Family heard murder victim's screams
- Kuma's Corner coming to Schaumburg in July
- Bulls pick up big win at Toronto
- Police: Indiana man killed in murder plot pleaded with wife
- Girls soccer scoreboard: Tuesday's results
- House OKs budget fix that covers day care, court reporters
- St. Charles North strikes fast, beats Geneva
- DRIVER - VAN DRIVER/PART-TIME /20 HOURS WEEK Nonprofit agency in Palatine has 20 hour week job transporting adults with disabilities from home to work site for AM & PM routes. Applicants need valid driver license/good driving recd. Contact Liz @847-540-3703(P),847-438-9698 (F), email@example.com (id:4401851) PET SITTER - ELGIN-BASED PET CARE PROVIDER SEEKING FULL TIME and PART TIME PET SITTER ASSISTANT. EMAIL RESUME TO ELGINPETSITTER@GMAIL.COM. (id:4401494) DRIVERS - Janitor Hourly Pay and Benefits Medical, Dental, Vision, Life and 401k Paid Vacation and Holidays Financially Sound Company Established 1934 Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer Apply in person at: Old Dominion Freight Line 255 W Oakton Des Plaines, IL 60018 Or Fax Resume to 847-827-5990 (id:4402037)
- COMPUTER - Computer/IT: Hospira, Inc. seeks SAP BW Lead in Lake Forest, IL. Analyze biz info (Finance, Supply Chain, Adv Planner, Sales & Distrib) & other sys landscape needs to implement & improve Biz Intelligence. Analyze & design solutions based on user reqs, procedures, & improve existing sys & review sys capabilities, ops, workflow, & sched limis. MS in Comp Engg, IT, Comp Sci or rel fld & 2 yrs work expe in app development OR BS in Comp Engg, IT, Comp Sci or rel fld & 5 yrs exp in app development w/ SAP BW Development, Modeling, & Reporting. Must have exp. w/: SAP ABAP development; training Power Users in SAP Tools & Tech; SAP Business Warehouse, Financials, Sales & Distrib, Adv Planner & Optimizer, Supply Chain, & HR improving, optimizing, & stabilizing environments; participating in implementation & rollout of apps to Manufacturing Plants; creating biz process design specifications, configuring interfaces, writing programming specs, configuring SAP, performing testing, providing end user training & creating biz process docs; & planning SAP program-wide app build, test, deploy, & post go-live activities. Interested applicants: send resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org reference: REQ#: IL0016 EOE (id:4400708) CUSTOMER SERVICE - Customer Support We are an Independent Food Broker located in the Western Suburbs of Chicago in business for 15 years. Summary: Manage client accounts and support Account Managers to ensure client, customer and company expectation are adhered to. Support Sales Team with order entry and sales presentations Assist with daily account management for select client accounts Ensure order entry database is maintained with accurate client/customer information Resolves problems in an efficient and courteous manner Organizes and files client correspondence, contracts, bill backs and deductions Process client claims and deductions for repayment Issue client check drafts in a timely and accurate manner and maintain log accurately Process misc. sales and customer service correspondence as needed Perform month end reporting invoicing for various account Requirements: Excellent customer service skills Strong organization, problem solving analytical and time management skills Attention to detail Outstanding written and verbal communication skills Taking initiative; strong sense of task completion Trustworthy; ability to handle confidential and sensitive information Able to work in a fast paced environment, organized, able to multi task TEAM orientated and hard working Prompt attendance Must be efficient in MS Office (Excel, Word, and PowerPoint) 2+ Years Sales Support or Customer Service College degree preferred Please send resume to HR@ISIMIDWEST.COM (id:4400672) RESTAURANT - Restaurant -Garibaldi's Restaurant in Arlington Hts., or Hoffman Estates, FT & PT positions available: counter help, pizza makers, delivery drivers, grill cooks. Call between 9a & 11a or 2p-4p. 847-577-4000 (id:4401439)
- PROJECT MANAGER AND SUPERINTENDENTS - Now hiring Construction Project Managers and Superintendents. Email your resume to email@example.com (id:4401406) BILINGUAL THERAPIST - Bilingual Spanish Therapist, Elgin and Aurora -Masters with LCSW-LCPC. M-F, 35 hrs. + benefits. Apply: firstname.lastname@example.org. (id:4401929) LANDSCAPING - Landscaping $12/ hour (847) 776-2400 en Palatine Necessita experienca (id:4401864)
Connect with a business or service in your area fast. First select a town, then enter a search term or choose one of the listed popular searches:
Don't see your town listed? Visit our full directory to begin your search.