Articles filed under Crime
Elgin Police: One hurt in gang-related shooting May 19, 2013 12:00 AM
Elgin police are investigating a shooting from early Sunday morning that may have been gang-related. Police responded to reports of shots fired at about 1:35 a.m. and found a 23-year-old man with a gunshot wound to his leg near Jefferson Avenue and Porter Street, according to officials. The injured man was taken to Sherman Hospital with nonlife threatening injuries, police said.
Illinois cracks down on social media ‘flash mobs’ May 18, 2013 12:00 AM
Illinois toughened penalties Saturday for those who use social media and text messaging to organize violent "flash mobs" like those that have occurred on Chicago's Michigan Avenue and in other tourist areas. Gov. Pat Quinn signed legislation doubling the maximum prison term for offenders to six years. The legislation was in direct response to recent incidents in downtown Chicago that left business owners fearful that tourists and other visitors would be scared off.
Prosecutors: Teen posted rape on Facebook page May 18, 2013 12:00 AM
Three Chicago teenagers are accused of sexually assaulting a 12-year-old girl and posting the attack on Facebook. Prosecutors say 15-year-old Kenneth Brown, Justin Applewhite and Scandale Fritz, both 16, attacked the girl at Fritz' home on Dec. 15.
Park Ridge police: More victims of con man out there May 18, 2013 12:00 AM
Park Ridge police are asking people who had dealings with David Ray Wooten to talk to them, as they say the man may have befriended them, then stole from them.
Two Hoffman Estates men accused of drug dealing May 17, 2013 12:00 AM
Hoffman Estates police on Friday wrapped up a two-month drug investigation that resulted in two men being charged with selling drugs near a park. Authorities said the two suspects sold drugs between April 12 and May 2 in the area of Golf Road and Windsong Drive.
7 police torture cases OK’d for investigation May 17, 2013 12:00 AM
A state commission that investigates alleged police torture says seven cases have merit for more investigation. The cases involve men who say they were tortured by police detectives associated with former Chicago police Cmdr. Jon Burge.
Homeless man gets 20 years for Elgin sex assault May 17, 2013 12:00 AM
A homeless man has been sentenced to 20 years in prison for sexually assaulting an Elgin woman he knew in March, prosecutors said Friday. Phillip J. Dillon, 46, accepted the sentence in exchange for a guilty plea to one count of aggravated criminal sexual assault.
Wrongful-death lawsuit filed against Vernon Hills man days before his criminal trial is to beginMay 17, 2013 12:00 AM
The family of a Vernon Hills woman who authorities say was killed by her husband in 2011 has filed a wrongful-death lawsuit against him days before the start of his criminal trial.
Inmate seeks to vacate plea in Schaumburg drug case May 17, 2013 12:00 AM
The attorney for a Schaumburg man who claims a former Schaumburg undercover police officer lied to obtain a search warrant, has filed a petition to vacate the man's sentence. Sean Cerami, 49, pleaded guilty to drug charges on April 13, 2012 and was sentenced to 4 years in prison. His attorney Victor Ciardelli says his client pleaded guilty after a judge found the officer's testimony more credible than his client.
Appeal planned for Baker in Vernon Hills murder May 17, 2013 12:00 AM
Daniel Baker's defense attorney said he will file an appeal after a Lake County judge refused to reconsider Baker's prison sentence in the brutal 2010 murder of a Vernon Hills woman. Ed Genson said he will immediately file Baker's case in the Illinois State Appellate Court.
Two charged in South Elgin heroin overdose death May 17, 2013 12:00 AM
Two people have been arrested and charged with delivering a fatal dose of heroin to a 24-year-old South Elgin woman in April, according to court records. Andrea R. Nielsen, 23, of South Elgin, and Nicholas C. Allen, 21, of Batavia, were charged with the drug induced homicide death of Abby L. Nordmeyer. Both face between six and 30 years in prison.
Poll Vault: Have you ever served on a jury? May 17, 2013 12:00 AM
Have you ever been on a jury in a criminal case? How long did you deliberate, and what was the outcome? How about in a civil trial?
Man charged in Aurora gang rap argues arrest was illegalMay 16, 2013 12:00 AM
One of three men charged in a gang rape of a drunk woman in Aurora is fighting to have his statements to police banned from court. The attorney for Eric Stallworth Jr., 22, argues he repeatedly asked to speak to his attorney and was denied a phone call before making a statement to police.
Richmond pleads not guilty to harassing a witness chargesMay 16, 2013 12:00 AM
A former standout high school basketball star from Lake County is back in jail after threatening his female probation officer who was scheduled to testify against him, authorities said. Jereme Richmond, 21, of the 2000 bock of Arthur Drive in Waukegan, pleaded not guilty to three counts of harassing a witness.
8 indicted in ‘hotline’ heroin sales May 16, 2013 12:00 AM
Seven men and one woman have been indicted for heroin trafficking on Chicago’s West Side that involved customer calls to a kind of drug-dealer hotline, authorities said.
Selling embezzler’s assets wasn’t smooth, marshals say May 16, 2013 12:00 AM
The U.S. Marshals Service finished selling the former Dixon comptroller’s belongings this month to raise restitution. Rita Crundwell is serving a federal prison sentence after pleading guilty to stealing more than $53 million from the city over two decades.
DuPage carjacker/nuclear engineer gets 40 years May 15, 2013 12:00 AM
If a nuclear engineer who is believed to have fled the country is found by authorities, he will have a prison cell waiting for him. A DuPage County judge on Wednesday sentenced Michael Buhrman to 40 years in prison for his armed carjacking of a woman's vehicle in the parking lot of a Woodridge store.
Hoffman Estates teen charged with molesting boy at Willow Creek May 15, 2013 12:00 AM
A 19-year-old working as a volunteer at Willow Creek Church in South Barrington faces charges of aggravated criminal sexual abuse after authorities say he molested an 8-year-old boy. Robert Sobczak, was arrested May 10 and ordered held on $100,000 bail.
Former Maine West coach charged in hazing; juvenile charges droppedMay 15, 2013 12:00 AM
After a five-month investigation of hazing at Maine West High School in Des Plaines, the Cook County state's attorney's office Wednesday charged former Maine West High School head varsity soccer coach Michael Divincenzo while dropping charges against six juveniles. "He allowed these things to happen and encouraged it," Anita Alvarez said.
Exam of bomb plot suspect expected in August May 15, 2013 12:00 AM
A mental evaluation of an Elk Grove Village native charged with plotting to firebomb dozens of Oklahoma churches will be finished around late August. Gregory Weiler II was arrested in October.
- South Elgin High mourns student who died in his sleep
- Police say Schaumburg cop under investigation
- COD paves new way to earn bachelor's degree
- State workers anxious as lawmakers debate pensions
- Winning Powerball ticket sold in Florida
- Two charged in South Elgin heroin overdose death
- $590M-plus Powerball: 1 winning ticket sold in Florida
- Don Mauer puts 'The 8-Hour Diet' to the test
- Man injured in suspected gang shooting in Elgin
- South Elgin High mourns student who died in his sleep
- Wanna win Powerball? Try these numbers
- Two charged in South Elgin heroin overdose death
- Google boosts photo offerings to rival Facebook
- Elgin man charged with kidnapping, sexual assault
- Hoffman Estates men accused of drug dealing
- After DUI, Huntley coach suspended for rest of season
- Apartment building catches fire in Palatine
- NEWSPAPER DELIVERY - DELIVERY -Newspapers Early Mornings, Should have van or SUV. Palatine area. 847-571-3733 (id:4339735) JOB FAIR - AAA SALES JOB FAIR/ OPEN HOUSE! AAA is seeking sales professionals. We have opportunities available in Arlington Heights, Mt. Prospect, Northbrook, Orland Park, Wilmette and other offices in the Chicago area for: Insurance Sales Agents -Leisure Travel Agents Would you or someone you know be interested in these opportunities? We invite you to attend our: JOB FAIR/OPEN HOUSE Thursday, May 30 -5:00 -8:00pm AAA's Arlington Heights Branch -1840 S. Arlington Heights Road 847/364-4465 We seek candidates with sales experience and a demonstrated history of sales success. Interviews Conducted On-site! Bring Your Resume! If unable to attend, send your resume to Jobs@aaachicago.com Please reference Job Code: DHOH519; Fax: 630/236-7681. www.aaa.com/careers -EOE (id:4340052) BEVERAGE EQUIPMENT SERVICE SHOP - Beverage Equipment Service Shop needs labor help. Full or Part Time Abesco Inc. 2200 Stonington Ave. Suite 200 Hoffman Estates, IL. 847-884-9595 Apply in Person (id:4339414)
- POLICE OFFICER - POLICE OFFICER The Village of Mount Prospect Board of Police and Fire Commissioners will be conducting a Police Officer Examination. Preliminary application, requirements and testing information is available at: PublicSafetyRecruitment.com Call 1-800-343-HIRE with questions. APPLICATION AND REQUIRED DOCUMENTATION DUE BY NOON CDT, JULY 3, 2013 Mandatory orientation will be held on July 31, 2013 at 6:00 p.m. at Prospect High School, Mount Prospect, IL. Testing will be held on Aug. 3, 2013 at 8:00 a.m. at Prospect High School, Mount Prospect, IL. Starting Salary $56,115 with full benefits package EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER -M/F (id:4339311) HEALTH CARE - Life Experience Coordinator The Garlands of Barrington is seeking a creative and energetic leader to transition our Memory Care unit into a dynamic, activity and ability based model of service. This position will have direct involvement with families and other departments while developing individualized plans for each member. The ideal candidate will have experience in developing and implementing programs, as well as training and motivating others. A passion for dementia care is a MUST. A flexible work schedule to accommodate the needs of our members will include weekend and holiday rotation. Experience in a long term care environment as well as Supervisory experience preferred. Apply today and experience The Garlands difference! We look forward to meeting you! Apply in person at The Garlands, 1000 Garlands Lane, Barrington IL 60010, email Sandy at Shlousek@thegarlands.com, fax to 847-756-3100 or call Sandy at 847-756-3423 (id:4340181) HEALTH CARE - The Garlands of Barrington is looking for special and caring individuals who want to make a difference in an older adult's life to join our team! We have opened our own homecare department, Garlands Homecare Solutions, and we are looking to fill the following positions: -C.N.A's Part time -All shifts -1 year home health experience preferred -Caregivers Part time -All shifts -1 year home health experience preferred -Live-In C.N.A. Full time 1 year home health experience preferred Apply today and experience The Garlands difference! We look forward to meeting you! Apply in person at The Garlands, 1000 Garlands Lane, Barrington IL 60010, email Sandy at Shlousek@thegarlands.com, fax to 847-756-3100 or call Sandy at 847-756-3423. (id:4340178)
- COMPUTER - Computer -Network Objects seeks Master's+0 or Bachelor's+5 or foreign equiv as System Administration (NOSA13): Lotus Script, VMWare, Sybase. Resumes: Resource Manager, 2300 Barrington Rd, Suite 400, Hoffman Estates, IL 60169. (id:4337277) WAREHOUSE - Warehouse -Co in Lake Zurich seeks warehouse worker. Duties incl packing orders for shipment. 401K, health ins. ind. must speak & read English. Call Herb 847-438-4556 (id:4340099) RECEPTIONIST - Receptionist Glendale Hts Auto Dealer seeks part time Receptionist/ Cashier. Dealership exp. a plus. Multi-tasking and reliability a must. Responsibilities will include answering phones, cashiering and light filing. 20 -25 hours per week. Retail environment. Schedule will include some Saturday & holiday hours. Please email resume to Jan at firstname.lastname@example.org (id:4340098)
Connect with a business or service in your area fast. First select a town, then enter a search term or choose one of the listed popular searches:
Don't see your town listed? Visit our full directory to begin your search.
Powered by Local.com