Editor's note: This story has been updated to include the correct title of Cook County Assistant State's Attorney Mike Gerber
By Jamie Sotonoff
Contact information ( * required )
An Elgin man pleaded guilty Monday to shooting another man outside a Bartlett bar in 2012.
Reginald Myles, 26, originally charged with attempted first-degree murder, accepted a plea deal where he pleaded guilty to a lesser charge of aggravated battery with a firearm and will spend eight years in prison, said Cook County Assistant State's Attorney Mike Gerber.
Myles will have to serve at least 85 percent of that sentence.
Gerber said there had been doubt over whether Myles intended to kill the man, who has since recovered from his injuries. Had Myles been convicted of attempted first-degree murder, he'd have faced up to 30 years in prison.
The shooting took place at 3 a.m. Feb. 12, 2012, outside the Cadillac Ranch in Bartlett and was captured on the bar's surveillance video. According to reports, the shooting followed a dispute between Myles and the 22-year-old victim. Myles fired six shots, one of which hit the victim in the back of the head. Myles then ran off and evaded police for the next few days. He was eventually arrested during a traffic stop in Springfield, Mo., for expired vehicle registration. He was a passenger in the car.