• Charges are not evidence of guilt. Under law, individuals are presumed innocent until proven guilty.
Contact information ( * required )
• Christopher P. Galati, 53, of the 400 block of West Touhy, Des Plaines, was arrested around 5:14 p.m. Dec. 22 at Jewel/Osco, 1860 S. Arlington Heights Road, and charged with battery and retail theft. Reports said a security agent said he saw Galati hide three packs of cigarettes and two bottles of vodka in a plastic bag and put two 12-packs of beer in a shopping cart, then push the cart out of the store without paying. Reports said the agent was pushed in the chest but wrestled Galati to the ground and held him there until officers arrived. Value of the items was estimated at $106. A court date is Feb. 11.
• Thieves stole three men's rings (one with a diamond and two with multiple stones) between Dec. 2 and 15 out of a bedroom dresser drawer at Church Creek retirement home, 1250 W. Central Road. Value was estimated over $14,000.
• A male resident in an apartment on the 300 block of Seegers Road heard someone trying to open the front door around 6:54 p.m. Dec. 19. When the resident opened the door he discovered it was unlocked; he was sure it had been locked. He saw a man standing there. The man asked if a certain person lived there but left when the resident said no. The resident was concerned that the man was attempting a burglary.
• Burglars entered a home between Dec. 13 and 21 on the 600 block of West Hintz Road through an unlocked door and stole several pieces of gold jewelry and a jewelry box out of the master bedroom. Value was estimated at $3,485.
• Vandals put a golf ball-sized dent into the hood and a golf ball-sized hole in the front bumper between 9 and 11:06 p.m. Dec. 19 on a 2013 Volkswagen Jetta on the 2800 block of North Dunton Avenue.
• Vandals damaged a reindeer decoration between 12:15 and 12:30 a.m. Dec. 22 outside a home on the 2000 block of Birchwood Lane. Damage was estimated at $30.
• An employee at Walgreens, 1000 E. Northwest Hwy., saw two teenage boys loitering in the pharmacy from 10:30 to 11:25 p.m. Dec. 21. At 11:25 p.m. one of them walked behind the cash register counter and grabbed 6-8 packs of cigarettes valued under $75. Both boys fled in a bluish-gray Volkswagen.
• Dominique L. Ratliff, 37, of the 200 block of South Dundee Avenue, Barrington, was arrested Dec. 6 at her home and charged with battery. Her court date is Jan. 7.
• Vandals damaged a mailbox Dec. 9 on the 800 block of Hampstead Court.
• Thieves stole a cellphone Dec. 12 out of a locker at Barrington High School, 616 W. Main St.
• Thieves stole two dealer license plates Dec. 22 out of a file cabinet at Motor Werks, 1475 S. Barrington Road.
• Thieves stole a black 1999 Honda Civic sedan Dec. 18 or 19 parked in the street on the 200 block of South Graceland Avenue.
• Vandals broke the driver's-side mirror between 10:30 p.m. Dec. 17 and 8 a.m. Dec. 18 on a Chevrolet truck and Hyundai, both parked in the street on the 1100 block of West Grant Drive. Damage to the Hyundai was estimated at $350.
• Vandals shattered the driver's-side taillight and side mirror around 6:45 p.m. Dec. 17 on a Saab parked in the street on the 1000 block of South Sixth Avenue. Damage was estimated at $400.
• Burglars forced open the front door between 1 and 4 p.m. Dec. 18 at a home on the 200 block of West Dempster Street and stole a laptop computer, charger and power cord. Loss was estimated at $1,800.