Within the past week the West Chicago Police Department has seen an increase in the number of burglaries to motor vehicles. Though these crimes can take place anywhere, the reported incidents have primarily occurred in the overnight hours in the downtown residential areas (being the area between Washington Street and National Street, as well as Arbor Avenue and Rt. 59). The common factor in these cases was that the vehicles were left unlocked.
The West Chicago Police Department is asking the public to follow the safety tips below to help prevent falling victim to car burglary:
Contact information ( * required )
• Always roll up your windows and lock all the doors.
• If storing your vehicle in a garage, be sure the garage door is closed.
• Do not keep valuables (wallets, purses, GPS units, cell phones, etc.) in plain view, either take them with you or secure them in the trunk.
• Never leave your vehicle running and unattended.
• Park your vehicle in well lit areas.
• Do not hide a spare key in or on your vehicle.
• If you see anyone suspicious near your, or anyone else's vehicle, call 9-1-1.
If you have any information regarding these incidents please contact Commander Bill Hall at the West Chicago Police Department (630) 293-2222 or if you wish to remain anonymous you may call the DuPage County Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS.