Seventeen people are running as write-in candidates in Kane County in the April 9 election, as Thursday's deadline passed for them to declare their intent.
Three write-ins now are seeking spots in the 7th Ward in Batavia, as are three people wo joined the race for Geneva Township clerk. Here is a rundown:
• No candidates officially filed to run in Batavia's 7th Ward, but Pat Purcell and Drew McFadden filed as write-ins last week. They will face Steve Holland, who declared himself a write-in in mid-January. McFadden, 43, owns WindmillNext, a digital marketing agency that focuses on online marketing. A six-year resident, he said he would use his professional skills to "better present" Batavia as not just a good place to raise a family, but a "great place to do business." Bringing more business to town would relieve residents' property-tax burdens some, he said.
Purcell could not be reached for comment.
• Debbie Draus has declared a candidacy for the Geneva Township clerk position. Draus, 59, is director of operations for Fagans Inc., and has lived in Geneva for about 20 years, she said. "I wanted to get a little bit more involved" in the community, she said, and believes her work skills will transfer well to the clerk's position, which involves record-keeping.
She faces fellow write-ins Geoffrey Carreiro and John Carlson. Carreiro was removed from the ballot for lack of signatures on his petitions.
• Pat Graceffa is a write-in candidate for the six-year term on the Sugar Grove Library board. She faces Edward DeBartolo and Trustee Robert Bergman, who are on the ballot.
• Raymond Ivancic is running for the Lily Lake village board.
• Peter Lopatin of Sugar Grove is running for the Kaneland school board, as is write-in Veronica Bruhl of Elburn. Cheryl Krauspe and Pedro Rivas are on the ballot.
• Mike Fagel of Sugar Grove filed for Sugar Grove Township trustee, as is Laurene Geary of Sugar Grove.
• Brian Lindholm of Sleepy Hollow is running for Fox River Valley Library District trustee, as is Denise Sommerlot of Sleepy Hollow.
• Steve Becker filed for Big Rock trustee.
• Nancy Garrison of St. Charles is running for St. Charles Township clerk.
• Cliff Hill of Elburn is running for Kaneville Township trustee.
• Craig Conn of St. Charles is running for Fox River and Countryside Fire Protection District trustee.
• Betty Ann Reiser is running for Burlington village trustee, as is Alec Vonderlack.
• Steve Holub is running for Big Rock Park District commissioner.