Students in the National Junior Honor Society (NJHS) at Daniel Wright Junior High School are launching a new outreach project, "For the Troops."
Through this effort, students are encouraging each other, their teachers and families, and community members to donate items for troop care packages.
Homerooms at the school are collecting donations for the troop care packages through Jan. 20. The NJHS students are leading this project under the direction of Erinn Vincent, faculty adviser.
Students, staff members and families in the school district are encouraged to support this effort by:
• Donating items such as individual toiletries, individual instant coffees, bite-size candies, and decks of cards.
• Including gloves and socks for troops to distribute to children in Kabul, Afghanistan.
• Donating spare change during student lunch periods for NJHS students to purchase supplies for assembling the care packages.
At the conclusion of the collection, a culminating event will be held in the school cafeteria. Chief Petty Officer Steve McKlem, USN, will participate in the event:
• NJHS students will host an after-school event from 2:45 to 4 p.m. Jan. 24 at Daniel Wright Junior High School, 1370 Riverwoods Road in Lincolnshire.
• Students, staff members, parents, local soldiers and community members are invited to the event to assemble the care packages and learn more about a soldier's experience overseas.
• The school homeroom collecting the most items will have a picture taken with McKlem.