Trick-or-treating time is here and to make sure you have a fun and safe Halloween, please keep these tips in mind from the West Dundee Police Department and Fire Protection District.
• Ensure costumes are made of nonflammable material. Show children how to "stop, drop and roll" if their clothes ever catch fire. And use a battery-operated light inside of a pumpkin, rather than a candle. Keep dry cornstalks and other decorations away from fireplaces and other heat sources.
• Parents should always accompany their children and tell them never to enter a stranger's house. Tell your kids not to eat any of those treats until after they get home, so you can check to see whether they are tainted.
• Walk, never run, across the street. Do not walk the streets. You should instead use the sidewalks and crosswalks.
• Stay away from costumes with masks, because they restrict vision. Use face paint instead. Make sure costumes are brightly colored and do not impair mobility. Decorate your child's costume with reflective tape to increase motorist visibility.
Have fun and please be careful out there.
Nature hike for children: Before you start Halloweening, take your 9-year-old on a nature walk to see the fall colors at their peak.
The Dundee Library is holding a nature walk at 9 a.m. Saturday. The event will take the kids, with an adult, on a hike through library springs, to identify local plants and wildlife. Don't forget to bring binoculars and to wear comfortable clothes and shoes for walking.
Library springs is right behind the library, 555 Barrington Ave, East Dundee. The walk is free, but you'll need to register.
For more information, visit the events and registration page at dundeelibrary.info, call (847) 428-3661, ext. 310, or stop by the Children's Desk at the library.
Can't get enough of the pre-Halloween madness?
Spring Hill Mall is holding its Halloween Kids Fest from 1 to 8 p.m. Saturday in the center court of the mall.
The free event, reserved for kids ages 2 to 12, includes music, face painting, prizes, crafts and games.
Don't forget to wear your costume for the contest that runs from 4 to 6 p.m. Trick-or-treating at the mall follows the contest from 6 to 8 p.m.
For more information, call the mall's management office at (847) 428-1509.
• Lenore Adkins covers Carpentersville, Huntley, the Dundees, Sleepy Hollow and Hampshire. To reach her, call (847) 608-2725 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org