• Levon Moses Odum, 30, of the 500 block of Woburn St. in Ypsilanti, Mich., was charged Sunday with criminal damage to property, according to a police report. Odum and a companion made repeated requests to workers at a tavern in downtown St. Charles to play some rap music. The music was never played. Witnesses said Odum then left the tavern, lunging into a glass door and causing it to break off its hinges. Odum told police someone at the tavern called him a racial slur, causing him to leave in an upset manner.
• Richard James Bridgewater, 50, of the 800 block of Fifth Avenue in Geneva; Gregory M. Lofton, 29, of the 400 block of South Prospect in Wheaton; and Johnny Valentino Perez, 40, of the 300 block of Church Street in Batavia, were arrested Sunday, according to a police report. Officers responded to a report about a fight at a tavern in the downtown area that allegedly involved a person with a knife. Upon arrival, officers encountered a man sitting on a chair, bleeding from a laceration on his left wrist. A companion of the man told police three men attacked the injured person while they were playing pool. The victim then told police he originally had a knife and somehow was cut with it during the altercation. The tavern recorded the incident on its video surveillance system. The tape showed the confrontation started with some disagreement between the victim and Lofton. Bridgewater then appeared to try and diffuse the situation, but wound up shoving the victim. At that point, the tape shows the three men surrounding the victim, who then pulled out the knife. The three men then attacked the victim by punching and kicking him and hitting him with a chair. The cut on the victim's wrist required five stitches to close. All three men were charged with battery, police said.
• Justina Marie Engel, 31, of the 400 block of East Indian Trail in Aurora, was charged Saturday with retail theft, according to a police report. Store security at Meijer, 855 S. Randall Road, observed Engel pushing a shopping cart containing her son and various items, which she covered with a sweatshirt before going into a restroom with the cart and several empty plastic grocery bags. Engel exited the restroom with five bags full of items. A check of the restroom revealed numerous empty packages in the garbage bin. Engel attempted to leave the store, but was detained by store security, which informed police of video evidence of Engel stealing $1,015 worth of merchandise Sept. 8. The items in Engel's possession Saturday were valued at $529. The police report states Engel admitted to both incidents of stealing, and she was charged with two counts of felony retail theft and two counts of burglary.
• A black clarinet and its case, valued at $1,000, were stolen between 6 p.m. Sept. 12 and 6 a.m. Sept. 16 from a 2001 Chevy Cavalier in the 39W500 block of Juliet Drive in Plato Township, according to a sheriff's report.
• Someone tried to pry open a service door at a business in the 45W600 block of Keslinger Road near Elburn between 8 p.m. Tuesday and 8 a.m. Wednesday, according to a sheriff's report.
• Someone stole a laptop computer and its bag from a vehicle in the 0N600 block of Fieldstone Lane near Geneva between 3 p.m. Sept. 16 and 7 a.m. Monday, a sheriff's report said.