Activate Your Free
Articles filed under Streamwood
“A Night to Remember” celebrates the music of Presley, Perkins, Lewis, and Cash Nov. 1 Oct 20, 2014 5:38 PM
The Elgin Community College Arts Center will celebrate a legendary event in rock ‘n’ roll history on Saturday, Nov. 1, when it presents “A Night to Remember.” Due to the heavy demand for tickets, the Arts Center has added a matinee performance of the show.
Hanover Twp. park gets new name Oct 18, 2014 9:32 PM
Hanover Township officials showed off upgrades at a Streamwood park and renamed the 2.6-acre space after a longtime park district commissioner and volunteer. Meanwhile, officials are gauging community feedback on a long-term place for the Naomi Walters-Lenoci Reserve.
ECC Arts Center to host Chris Smither and Paul Cebar Oct. 25 Oct 17, 2014 10:28 PM
The Elgin Community College Arts Center will host acclaimed American blues/folk guitarist, singer and songwriter Chris Smither and special guest artist Paul Cebar on Saturday, Oct. 25. Smither draws deeply from a range of genres and blends blues, American folk music, poetry and philosophy. He's revered for both his fingerpicking guitar techniques as well as his exemplary songwriting.
ECC Theatre presents ‘The Diary of Anne Frank’ Oct. 31-Nov. 16 Oct 17, 2014 9:21 PM
Elgin Community College Theatre’s fall production of “The Diary of Anne Frank” will be held from Friday, Oct. 31, through Sunday, Nov. 16. Performances will be held at 7:30 p.m. Fridays, Oct. 31, Nov. 7 and 14; Saturdays, Nov. 1, 8 and 15; and 3 p.m. Sundays, Nov. 9 and 16 in the ECC Arts Center’s SecondSpace Theatre.
Streamwood father wins $1.3 million lottery prize Oct 16, 2014 6:32 PM
A Streamwood dad on Thursday celebrated his big win: a $1.3 million Illinois Lottery prize. “God gave me this money as a gift,” Mrugesh Desai said in a Streamwood gas station where he snagged the winning ticket.
Our HOMe Improvement Donates Carpeting to Clearbrook Oct 16, 2014 7:14 AM
Our HOMe Improvement Donates Carpeting to Clearbrook
Education and Work Center in Hanover Park ready to serve the community Oct 15, 2014 6:08 PM
What began as a discussion about the needs of a local community has turned into a multi-partner community center that offers education and employment services free of charge to area residents. The Education and Work Center is a collaborative partnership between Elgin Community College, Harper College, Chicago Cook Workforce Partnership, the village of Hanover Park, and the state of Illinois.
Forgotten Chicagoans rediscovered; 8,000 names identified in Chicago cemetery records Oct 15, 2014 6:22 PM
The names of more than 8,000 people who may have died penniless or without family in the long forgotten Cook County Cemetery have been rediscovered and are now available free to the public. The Cook County Cemetery was located at what is now the intersection of Irving Park Road and Narragansett Avenue on Chicago’s Northwest Side between 1861-1922.
Streamwood High School performing ‘12 Angry Jurors’ Oct 14, 2014 1:12 PM
“12 Angry Jurors” is being presented at Streamwood High School, 701 W. Schaumburg Road, 7 p.m. Wednesday, Oct. 15, through Saturday, Oct. 18. Tickets are $5 for students and $8 for adults. The play dramatizes the civic responsibility of jury duty, as the members of the jury confront their prejudices.
Lincoln Elementary goes for the record Oct 14, 2014 4:16 PM
At a recent student council assembly at Lincoln Elementary School, the focus was on several issues including the new student council makeup, what the Pledge of Allegiance means, and information on fundraisers such as their annual food drive. Elgin Lions Club Food Drive chairman Ed Bates spoke to the students and delivered the red collection container for them to see and spoke briefly about the Elgin Lions Club and the Community Crisis Center, the recipient of the food.
Crash during Streamwood ‘downpour’ sends 2 to hospital Oct 14, 2014 8:40 AM
A crash during a “downpour” Monday night in Streamwood sent two people to the hospital and delayed traffic at Irving Park Road and Route 59, authorities said. Lt. Steve Laker with the Streamwood Fire Department said two vans struck each other in “almost a head-on collision” about 7:30 p.m. in the middle of the intersection on Streamwood’s west side.
Soroptimist Club accepting applications for Violet Richardson Award Oct 14, 2014 5:12 PM
Soroptimist International of Suburban Chicago is now accepting applications for the Violet Richardson Award. Named after the president of the first Soroptimist club, the Violet Richardson Award honors girls who are making a difference through volunteer service. Each year, Soroptimist clubs honor girls who donate their time and energy to causes that make the community and world a better place — such as working to end discrimination and poverty, assisting women and children who are victims of domestic violence, or mentoring young girls.
“Run, Walk & Roll” Oct. 26 to benefit Marklund Oct 14, 2014 5:14 PM
Get ready to "Run, Walk & Roll" for Marklund! Registration is still being accepted for Marklund’s second annual 5K/1 mile event which is set for Sunday, Oct. 26 in Geneva. “Last year, nearly 600 people participated in our inaugural event and helped us net $30,000 for programs and services for our clients so we're looking forward to growing that number this year!,” said Stephanie Heinz, Development Coordinator at Marklund.
Jaycees Best Pizza Contest Nov. 6 in Hoffman Estates Oct 27, 2014 3:15 PM
The Hoffman Estates Jaycees will be holding its annual Best Pizza Contest to determine who makes the best pizza in the Schaumburg Township area. The contest will be Nov. 6
Images: The Week in Pictures Oct 13, 2014 2:47 PM
This edition of The Week in Pictures features Daily Herald staff photos of Santa Claus mingling with bikers, a couple of not-so-scary scarecrows, and a responsive ferret, representing more than 20 area towns.
Modern Day “Amelia Earhart” to Visit PM Prime in Highwood Oct 13, 2014 3:39 PM
PM Prime in Highwood will be open this Sunday, October 12 to accommodate special guest Amelia Earhart, who recently completed an around-the-world flight in honor of her namesake’s 1937 attempt. Amelia Rose Earhart is the youngest female to circumnavigate the globe in a single-engine airplane, completing her mission on July 11, 2014. Dinner reservations at the aviation themed steakhouse will be accepted between 5 and 7 p.m. on that evening. Diners will have an opportunity to meet the inspiring aviatrix. Guests will be accommodated by reservation only. Seating is very limited. Steve Platcow of Lake Forest opened the PM Prime in July of this year. Executive Chef Dominic Zumpano has been dazzling area restaurant critics with his innovative interpretations on classic steakhouse fare. Robert B. Bansberg, award-winning sommelier and wine educator, shares his wealth of knowledge and expertise as the restaurant’s General Manager/Sommelier. PM Prime’s dining room boasts an unprecedented collection of 200 black and white photographs that celebrate excellence in aviation. The restaurant presents a rare opportunity to see a truly amazing collection of vintage images that honor the pioneers of flight - all under one roof. From the Wright Brothers, to Amelia Earhart, the Tuskegee Airmen and Jimmy Doolittle - the collection showcases the fearless and the brave. The heroes represented in the photographs pushed the boundaries of what was possible and demonstrated the power of the human spirit. These stunning historic images motivate the team at PM Prime to strive for excellence and the ultimate goal is encourage the patrons to pursue excellence in their lives as well. This engaging display will leave guests feeling nothing less than inspired. PM Prime’s menu includes popular steakhouse favorites such as the filet mignon and New York strip, but it also has some more unusual cuts such as the wagyu hanger steak. PM Prime features the highest quality cuts of prime beef available. Diners will find interesting selections such as osso buco with saffron risotto or Halibut with spaetzle and roasted beets. PM Prime is located at 310 Green Bay Road, Highwood. Call 847-433-0600 or visit www.pmprimesteak.com for more information.
Sutton not slowing down, adds more suburban distribution centers Oct 13, 2014 7:59 AM
KukecPeople features Seattle Sutton, now 82 and has no plans to slow down. She talks about the expansion of the company with distribution centers around the suburbs and how it all started.
York Theatre Presents FREE Screening of “Mr. Peabody & Sherman” Oct 13, 2014 5:02 PM
Come dressed in your Halloween costume for a FREE showing of “Mr. Peabody & Sherman” at the York Theatre. The film will be shown on Saturday, October 25th at 9:30 AM at the York Theatre, located at 150 North York Street in downtown Elmhurst. The 24th annual event is sponsored by the Elmhurst City Centre’s BOOtiful Saturday. After the film, children are encouraged to enjoy trick-or-treating at participating stores from 11 AM to 1 PM. “Mr. Peabody & Sherman” (PG/92 min) is a comedy, science fiction film featuring the characters from the 1960s animated television series “The Rocky and Bullwinkle Show,” who must fix a time rift they created. Mr. Peabody, the most accomplished dog in the world, and his mischievous boy Sherman, use their time machine—the WABAC—to go on the most outrageous adventures known to man or dog. But when Sherman takes the WABAC out for a joyride to impress his friend Penny, they accidentally rip a hole in the universe, wreaking havoc on the most important events in world history. Before they forever alter the past, present and future, Mr. Peabody must come to their rescue, ultimately facing the most daunting challenge of any era: figuring out how to be a parent. Together, the time traveling trio will make their mark on history.
Paramount Theatre to Present “A Hard Day’s Night” October 15 Oct 13, 2014 4:56 PM
A special showing of a “A Hard Day’s Night” will be presented at the Paramount Theatre, 213 North Schuyler Avenue, Kankakee, on Wednesday, October 15 at 7 PM. Tickets are $5 per person and available at the Paramount Theatre box office or online www.classiccinemas.com. The event is sponsored by WVLI 92.7, WFAV 95.1, WIVR 101.7 and WYUR 103.7. WVLI morning personality Bob Malkowski will emcee the event. A digitally restored version of the classic Beatles comedy musical was released this year to commemorate the film’s 50th anniversary. “A Hard Day’s Night” (G/87 min.) portrays a couple of days in the lives of the band. The film is considered to be one of the best and most influential musical films of all time. Richard Lester’s boldly contemporary rock n’ roll comedy unleashes the fledgling Beatles into a maelstrom of screaming fans, paranoid producers, rabid press and troublesome family members, and reveals the secret of their survival and success: an insatiable lust for mischief and a life-affirming addiction to joy.
Tivoli Theatre Presents FREE Showing of “Casper” October 25 Oct 13, 2014 4:57 PM
The Tivoli Theatre will celebrate Halloween with a FREE showing of “Casper” as part of Baird and Warner’s 22nd Annual Halloween Happening. The film will be shown on Saturday, October 25th at 11 AM at the Tivoli Theatre, 5021 Highland Avenue in downtown Downers Grove. Wear your Halloween costume and participate in the costume contest. Registration begins at 9 AM followed by judging at 9:30 AM. The movie starts at 11 AM. “Casper” (PG/100 min) is a 1995 comedy fantasy film starring Christina Ricci, Bill Pullman, Cathy, Moriarty, Eric Idle and Amy Brenneman based on the Casper the Friendly Ghost comic books and animated cartoons. The movie tells the story of a greedy heiress who inherits the haunted Whipstaff Manor and discovers that the house contains a treasure guarded by three nasty ghosts. Ghost therapist, Dr. James Harvey, and his daughter Kat, move into the mansion to get rid of the supernatural creatures. Kat makes friends with a ghost named Casper, the nephew of the three nasty ghosts.
- 1,700 pounds of marijuana recovered from Elk Grove warehouse
- Attorney general: DuPage forest preserve should release termination letter
- Family, friends stunned by death of Libertyville grad
- Rozner: Cubs' pursuit of Maddon strictly business
- DuPage drug cops 'making a difference' in heroin fight
- Waukegan school district, teachers reach tentative deal
- Our Lady of Destiny School in Des Plaines closing
- Consider a dose of caffeine before you 'Go to Sleep'
- Dist. 95 critical of proposed state education funding change
- Streamwood lives to play another day
- Football playoffs: Who's up, who's out, proposed changes
- Man facing rape charges dead in apparent suicide
- Updated: IHSA to look at sweeping changes to football system
- Football playoffs: First round pairings/game days and times
- Like it or not, Glenbard South gets R-B again
- Des Plaines complex could have 11 tall towers
- Brainerd Building demolition could start Monday
- Suburban police no longer feel 'helpless' against heroin
- Editorial: Carpentersville's unconscionable refusal to explain
- Townhouses could displace Des Plaines church
- NURSING INSTRUCTORS - Nursing NURSING CLINICAL INSTRUCTORS, ADJUNCT: SPRING 2015 MORTON COLLEGE has the distinction of being the second oldest comprehensive community college in Illinois. Our pioneering spirit helped establish the learning community and continues today as a Hispanic Serving Institution. We currently are seeking: Adjunct Faculty for Associate Degree Nursing Program: SPRING 2015 SEMESTER Current opportunities exist for: Clinical Instructors: Pediatrics & Mental Health Clinical Rotations Requirements include: Master's degree in Nursing; current Illinois RN licensure; 2 years clinical experience in a variety of settings. Morton College's Mission: To enhance the quality of life of our diverse community through exemplary teaching and learning opportunities, community service, and life-long learning. For more information and to apply for this position, go to: careers.morton.edu MORTON COLLEGE (id:4389470) CAREGIVER/CNA - Flexible hours and positions. Assisitng Hands 630-305-9100 (id:4388613) COURIER DRIVERS - CDL B driver -if you meet the following qualifications: 1 yr verifiable exp., no more than 1 moving violation in the past yr, pass bkground physical, drug /aclohol test. Ability to perform physically demand- ing work. Must be fluent in English. Northwest suburbs. Up to $2500 sign on bonus. Call 847-816-6381 (id:4389252)
- OFFICE - Amvets seeks person for flex-ible hrs in N & NW suburbs Call from home. Call Diane at 815-609-1852 between 9a-noon for more information (id:4389737) NURSING INSTRUCTORS - Education MORTON COLLEGE, seeks ADJUNCT NURSING ASSISTANT INSTRUCTORS, for Spring 2015. For more info., see our ad under "Nursing" EOE (id:4389469) AUTO SALES - Auto AUTO SALES -HIRING FAIR - Start Your New Career...No Experience Needed...We Will Train You the Right Way to Sell Cars! The BOB ROHRMAN AUTO GROUP is not only the Midwest's #1 volume family-owned auto group, we're also an industry leader in ethical sales. We're looking for 10 to 20 good men & women to join our staff of sales professionals. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity to join a positive, family-oriented dealership that does things the RIGHT WAY! As a result of continued rapid growth, The Bob Rohrman Auto Group is currently hiring multiple sales consultants at multiple locations. If you are selected WE OFFER: FREE 3-day training class at Rohrman University $50,000 -$75,000+ annual earning potential! Full benefits: medical, dental, vision, 401(k), Etc. Career advancement op- portunities to management Excellent floor traffic, in- ventory & a great reputa- tion in the community! We require of our sale team: Professional appearance with good communication skills. If you are bilingual that is a real advantage. Must have integrity, with a positive attitude & a strong work ethic Willing to learn & be recep- tive to new ideas You must be a team player We are a drug-free, equal opportunity employer Valid drivers license Interviews: Tuesday, October 28 - 3pm to 7pm Interviews held at: -ARLINGTON NISSAN 1100 West Dundee Road, Arlington Heights, IL -Just east of Route 53 on Dundee Road. No appointment necessary but if you need to schedule a specific time contact: JR Rohrman email@example.com -1-269-591-2223 -Please dress professionally for your interview (id:4389512)
Connect with a business or service in your area fast. First select a town, then enter a search term or choose one of the listed popular searches:
Don't see your town listed? Visit our full directory to begin your search.