Activate Your Free
Articles filed under Teachers
Elgin science teacher uses nature to engage students Aug 12, 2014 1:22 PM
She’s the 2014 Environmental Educator of the Year and her work with students has been featured in two PBS documentaries. Deb Perryman has received many accolades in her 24-year teaching career. What’s the secret to her success with students? “I’m always looking for a way to go outside of a book, looking for a way to bring in the real world,” said Perryman, who has taught biology and environmental science at Elgin High School for nearly 21 years.
Teachers bring teamwork to Palatine classroom Jun 9, 2014 12:48 PM
Natalie Saia and Tony Leva started teaching together this school year, creating a collaborative classroom for students with special needs and ones without them. That atmosphere springs from their own example. Two teachers who treat each other as equals. Two teachers who learn from each other. “Words can't describe how awesome these teachers are,” said Brandyn Manzek, 12.
Rosary teacher Falguni Soni has a passion for science May 12, 2014 7:35 AM
Rosary High School teacher Falguni Soni is passionate about getting girls to consider a career in science. "I see my role not only as a teacher and a coach but also as a role model in the field of science," she says.
New contract gives Dist. 207 teachers merit pay May 6, 2014 5:31 PM
Maine Township High School District 207 teachers who earn “excellent” ratings on annual evaluations will be eligible for $1,250 merit stipends, under terms of a five-year contract extension approved this week. District 207 is believed to be one of the few school districts in Illinois to include merit stipends in a teachers contract, officials said.
One teacher who made a big difference May 5, 2014 1:40 PM
Mrs. Irwin was old, even in the 1970s, and Margaret Kaden didn't care all that much for her language arts class. Today, Mrs. Irwin is 102, and has lived long enough for Kaden to realize her long-ago class gave her the tools to be successful in her career and in life. A Teacher Appreciation Week essay.
Streamwood High music teacher finds students' inner talent Feb 7, 2014 4:50 PM
David Hain's colorful personality exudes an energy that resonates with his students. A Golden Apple Award finalist, Hain teaches guitar theory, music theory, choir and orchestra at Streamwood High School. He has a knack for bringing out the singer/musician in everyone, students say.
Elk Grove P.E. teacher helps make school healthy Dec 9, 2013 5:42 AM
Colleagues of Will Hogan at the Ridge Family Center for Learning in Elk Grove Village say more kids are choosing healthy lifestyles thanks to him. The P.E. teacher is the driving force behind the school's efforts to promote daily physical fitness and nutritional awareness — efforts that have been recognized nationally by first lady Michelle Obama and others.
St. Charles teacher wants collaborative effort in math Nov 22, 2013 11:26 AM
Tina King is a sixth grade teacher at Wredling Middle School in St. Charles Unit District 303 who takes the fear out of math by focusing on life skills, not just fractions.
For Lyn Scolaro's students, the classroom is only the beginning Sep 9, 2013 8:28 AM
For longtime Italian teacher Lyn Scolaro, learning a new language is about more than vocabulary words and conjugating verbs — it's a doorway. “Italian is a beautiful, musical language,” Scolaro says. “(Italians) put their passion and personality into it. The language, like everything there, is a way of life.”
Schaumburg band director enters ‘senior year’ Aug 24, 2013 9:27 AM
Schaumburg High School Music Department Chair Kevin Miller has gotten into the habit of telling his senior band members they have work hard because it’s their last year. Now, his students are playing that card on him. Miller, who's retiring at the end of the school year, said what he enjoys most about teaching has remained the same over his 33-year career. “I’ve always loved the kids. It’s all about the kids," he said.
Dundee-Crown special education teacher stresses literacy Aug 12, 2013 5:32 AM
Karen Leinen's 15 years moving up the corporate ladder with FedEx gave her plenty of leadership training and recognition, but “I found that no matter how much personal success I had achieved, there was something still missing. I was doing it all for me,” Leinen said. “None of it was in the service of others.” She now teaches special education at Dundee-Crown High School in Carpentersville.
Harper Grad Will Tackle Next Courses as Fellow in Germany May 15, 2013 1:37 PM
After completing her Harper College associate degree this May, Stephanie Bemis will head to a yearlong fellowship in Germany on the prestigious Congress-Bundestag Youth Exchange for Young Professionals.
Tips from a great teacher May 13, 2013 7:12 AM
Tips from a great teacher: Al Ochsner's advice
Al Ochsner, in the words of his students May 15, 2013 9:41 AM
What students have to say about Al Ochsner
Second career a serendipitous fit for Geneva art teacher May 13, 2013 7:18 AM
Being a teacher wasn't Al Ochsner's initial career choice. He followed a dream, making a living as a professional artist. But in middle age, the single father of two needed some extra income and took a gig as a substitute teacher at Geneva High School. He fell in love with teaching. Now, at age 52, he is doing it full-time. "This is a job I look forward to coming to," he said. "This is a really cool place."
Top teacher serves as a muse for students Apr 8, 2013 8:58 AM
Art takes many forms. The 500 students in Tricia Fuglestad's classes at Dryden Elementary School in Arlington Heights learn history, videomaking, filmwriting, tweeting, blogging, uploading, singing, acting, graphic design, animation and more, but all of it is art. "We are definitely a hands-on art program," said Fuglestad, now in her 21st year of teaching, all in Arlington Heights Elementary District 25. "I want to have the kids engaged in whatever they do."
Bartlett teacher Lana Brozik calls herself a lifelong learner Feb 11, 2013 5:36 AM
Lana Brozik is a master teacher, a model educator and a lifelong learner. She teaches students English and language arts at Eastview Middle School in Bartlett but reaches beyond her eighth-graders to improve the quality of education districtwide. A ripple effect from Brozik's mentorship means she will continue to affect student learning long after she retires at the end of this year.
Hoffman Estates instructor is a Daily Herald ‘Top Teacher’ Dec 3, 2012 10:12 AM
Dozens of students wave or say hello to Ryan Brown when they pass the 35-year-old English teacher in the hallways of Hoffman Estates High School. Brown is popular with the students, but it's his impact on their success in and out of the classroom that has earned him recognition by the Daily Herald as one of The Suburbs' Top Teachers, a new distinction awarded to outstanding suburban teachers.
How to nominate an educator Dec 3, 2012 8:38 AM
With today's issue, we have begun to tell the stories of The Suburbs' Top Teachers, who they are, what makes them good, how they do what they do. We're looking for your recommendations. Email us at email@example.com or send a letter to Best Teachers, Daily Herald, P.O. Box 280, Arlington Heights, IL 60006.
Talk with the Editor: Help us identify great teachers Nov 9, 2012 5:26 AM
In this Talk with the Editor, John Lampinen announces the Daily Herald's new tribute to The Suburbs Top Teachers and solicits recommendations to be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Suburban schools are filled with dedicated teachers who inspire our children to greatness, Lampinen says, and the paper wants to highlight as many of them as it can.
SOSEScript: generic_rss failed executing with the following error:
Error on line 101 position 3: Object required: 'rssXML'
- Jewel-Osco offers help to consumers after data breach
- Man accused of firing gunshots in Round Lake Park
- Mr. T does jury duty in Rolling Meadows
- Police looking for driver who fled Elgin-O'Hare crash
- Police investigate sexual assault report at Elgin hospital
- $25.3 million class action lawsuit filed over McHenry court fines
- In the end, Bears find some positives
- Pole dancers strip away stereotypes in championship
- Police: Teen shot by cop was a suspect in recent robbery
- U-46 putting Arndt, Sanders at the helm for now
- Fired music director finds support at Holy Family
- Jewel-Osco offers help to consumers after data breach
- The day Robin Williams saved Superman's life
- Police looking for driver who fled Elgin-O'Hare crash
- Mr. T on jury duty break: Listen to your mama
- Taxes should be based on ability to pay
- Will thoroughbred bring incredible end for family?
- Island Lake gets new deputy chief
- Driver who fled Elgin-O'Hare crash still at large
- Blackhawks move on without Hayes
- IT SYSTEMS ANALYST - Must be skilled in a variety of programming platforms and languages. Experience with Microsoft Access and SQL Server database design, and proficiency with Microsoft Office is required. Must have Bachelor's in Computer Science or related field, or 2 years experience and Associate's Degree or Certificate Program. Salary range: $55,101 -$84,855 with excellent benefits. Application information at www.streamwood.org. EOE. (id:4381803) TREE WORK - Climbers, Groundmen w-CDL Good Pay and Benefits Call 630-495-1831 (id:4382651) WAREHOUSE - GENERAL LABOR/PRODUCTION POSITIONS AVAILABLE 100 IMMEDIATE OPENINGS 1st, 2nd AND 3RD SHIFTS Please apply at our office for on the spot interviews: @Work Personnel 2010 E Algonquin Rd., Ste 210 Schaumburg, IL 60173 OFFICE NUMBER: 847-221-8288 (located right off the north corner of Frontage Rd. & Algonquin Rd.) (id:4382059)
- JOB FAIR - Healthcare JOB FAIR CAREGIVER-PT FOOD SERVER-PT ACTIVITY ASSISTANT FT/PT Date: Tuesday, August 19 Hours: 9:30am -11:30am and 1:30pm -3:30pm Job Fair Location: Belmont Village of Buffalo Grove 500 McHenry Road Buffalo Grove, IL 60089 We are a growing dynamic organization providing state of the art services and programs for active seniors. We will be conducting on-the-spot interviews. eoe (id:4382837) DRIVERS CDL AWITH HAZ-MAT - Trucking company located in West Chicago,IL looking for CDL-A drivers with hazmat endorsement. OTR -regional positions. $0.47 -mile up to $0.55 -mile. Stop pay, waiting time pay, vacation pay. Performance bonus program. 2 years experience and clean MVR a must. If you are looking for $70,000 to $80,000 -year, with a well-established company, call 630-293-8910!!! (id:4382652) LEGAL SECRETARY - Busy St Charles law firm seeks part-time Legal Secretary-Paralegal with a minimum of 2 years experience in family law. Must have the ability to draft and compose correspondence, pleadings and discovery documents, be comfortable working in a fast paced environment and have the ability to multi-task. Please respond with cover letter and resume for consideration. Only candidates with family law experience will be considered. Salary based on experience. please email resumes to email@example.com or fax to 630-443-6204 (id:4381399)
- HR ASSISTANT - HFMA in Westchester. Report to HR Dir. 3-5 yrs HR exp and admin exp. Email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org (id:4382923) COLD FORMING SU/OPERATOR - Rapidy growing automotive supplier in Mundelein Illinois has immediate openings for skilled Cold Forming Operators. Operate one or more machines to shear, form and punch formings from metal bar and coil stock. Forming equipment includes Jern Yao, Nedschroff, Sanshing and Sakamora. Opportunities for full time, part time, short term contract assignments on 1st, 2nd or 3rd shift. Excellent pay and benefits. you can apply online at MacLean-Fogg.com under Careers, email resume to email@example.com or fax resume to 847-566-1257. EOE M-F-D-V (id:4382650) DIRECTOR OF NURSING PROGRAM - Education MORTON COLLEGE has the distinction of being the second oldest comprehensive community college in Illinois. The College is part of the Illinois public community college system of higher education and is designated as a Hispanic Serving Institution. Our pioneering spirit helped establish the learning community and continues today as a Hispanic Serving Institution for Berwyn, Cicero, Forest View, Lyons, McCook, Stickney and other communities in Chicago's suburban area. We currently have an exciting opportunity for a senior administrator to join us. DIRECTOR OF NURSING PROGRAM The seasoned clinician we seek will be responsible for directing all educational activities in the Nursing, Nursing Assistant and Advanced Bedside Care Technician programs to include, but not limited to: planning, implementing and assessing the approved curriculum and student outcomes; serving/designating the role(s) of Nursing Assistant Coordinator & NCCT Exam Coordinator; and teaching designated Nursing, Nursing Assistant and/or Advanced Bedside Care Technician courses to a diverse student population. Ensuring that programs are in compliance with various national/state standards & regulations; evaluating, developing and assigning faculty; and managing the daily activities of the programs and resources needed to support the programs will also be involved. The successful candidate will possess a minimum of a Master's degree in Nursing; hold current IL RN licensure; and have a minimum of five years of teaching or clinical experience in addition to five years experience in an administrative role. Excellent analytical, interpersonal and communication (oral & written) skills, as well as PC proficiency a must. Morton College's Mission: To enhance the quality of life of our diverse community through exemplary teaching and learning opportunities, community service, and life-long learning. For more information and to apply for this position, go to www.morton.edu & click on Working@Morton. Download application, authorization release form, and send cover letter, resume, copy of transcripts (required upon hire), & salary history via e-mail to: HumanResources@morton.edu, fax: 708-656-0025, or mail to: HR Dept., Morton College, 3801 S. Central Ave., Cicero, IL 60804. EOE (id:4382311)
Connect with a business or service in your area fast. First select a town, then enter a search term or choose one of the listed popular searches:
Don't see your town listed? Visit our full directory to begin your search.