Activate Your Free
Articles filed under Baseball
Abreu, Sale, Ramirez all make their All-Star casesJul 1, 2014 12:00 AM
The White Sox are struggling through another tough season, but three players - first baseman Jose Abreu, starting pitcher Chris Sale and shortstop Alexei Ramirez - could be getting some good news when rosters for the All-Star Game are announced on Sunday.
Sox hitting can’t stop Angels doubleheader sweepJul 1, 2014 12:00 AM
Hector Noesi and Scott Carroll have struggled throughout the season and that was the case again Tuesday night. Noesi and Carroll started for the White Sox in a doubleheader vs. the Angels and they both took losses.
Cubs find way to grind out 2-1 win over BostonJul 1, 2014 12:00 AM
The Cubs opened the second half of their season Tuesday night with a 2-1 victory at Fenway Park over the Red Sox. Much like the first half, the Cubs had to grind one out. Manager Rick Renteria said that's been the character of his club over the first half.
Cubs outfield plays tricky Fenway perfectlyJul 1, 2014 12:00 AM
Playing the Green Monster is only one aspect for outfielders at Fenway Park. That's why Cubs first-base and outfield coach Eric Hinske has been working and talking to his charges during the ongoing interleague series in Boston.
Valbuena’s sacrifice fly puts Cubs over Red SoxJul 1, 2014 12:00 AM
Luis Valbuena broke a ninth-inning tie with a sacrifice fly that sent the Chicago Cubs to a 2-1 win over the Boston Red Sox on Tuesday night. Anthony Rizzo started the inning with a single off Koji Uehara (3-2) and went to third on a double by Starlin Castro. Valbuena then lined a shot to medium right field. Mookie Betts made the catch, but his throw was offline and Rizzo scored easily.
Abreu’s HR isn’t enough for White Sox in 8-4 lossJul 1, 2014 12:00 AM
Albert Pujols hit his 509th home run, Mike Trout connected for a three-run drive and Garrett Richards allowed two hits in eight innings to lead the Los Angeles Angels past the Chicago White Sox 8-4 Tuesday in the first game of a doubleheader. Pujols’ solo shot, his 17th of the season, came off starter Hector Noesi (2-6) and put the Angels ahead in a four-run fifth. Trout’s homer tied the score earlier in the inning.
Cubs pitcher Arrieta has another night to rememberJul 1, 2014 12:00 AM
It's been quite some roll for Cubs pitcher Jake Arrieta. Last week at Wrigley Field, he took a perfect game into the eighth inning. Monday night at Fenway Park, he had a no-hitter until Stephen Drew singled with two outs in the eighth inning. Arrieta got the win as the Cubs beat the Red Sox 2-0.
Rain keeps Abreu’s hot hand on hold for White SoxJun 30, 2014 12:00 AM
Jose Abreu has been beating up on opposing pitchers at a record-setting rate. On Monday night, Abreu couldn't overcome rain and lightning, and the White Sox and Angels were rained out at U.S. Cellular Field.
Arrieta takes no-hitter into 8th, Cubs winJun 30, 2014 12:00 AM
White Sox’ Lindstrom not ready to move off DLJun 30, 2014 12:00 AM
Injured White Sox closer Matt Lindstrom said his ankle is feeling better, and he's looking to come off the disabled list ahead of schedule. But Lindstrom is still not able to move laterally, so don't expect him back until August.
McLeod likes where he’s at with CubsJun 30, 2014 12:00 AM
Cubs scouting and player-development boss Jason McLeod said Monday in Boston that he has taken himself out of the running for the vacant general manager's job with the San Diego Padres. For McLeod, the Padres are the hometown team, but he said this was not the right time.
Fenway trip a bit of a homecoming for Cubs’ Rizzo, HoyerJun 30, 2014 12:00 AM
For Cubs first baseman Anthony Rizzo and GM Jed Hoyer, this week's series in Boston marks a pair of homecomings of sort. Rizzo originally was drafted by the Red Sox while Hoyer worked in Boston under current Cubs president Theo Epstein.
Pattern says White Sox a .500 teamJun 29, 2014 12:00 AM
Barely past the midpoint of the season, the White Sox have displayed again just how quickly things can change, as White Sox Insider Chris Rongey explains in this week's column.
Good time to revisit All-Star Game and festivitiesJun 29, 2014 12:00 AM
With the All-Star Game and its surrounding activities approaching in a couple weeks in Minneapolis, Cubs Insider Len Kasper shares a few thoughts on the format, the Futures Game, the Home Run Derby, and why he wants to see an Old Timers All-Star Game in the mix.
Fast start lifts Boomers to 10-1 winJun 29, 2014 12:00 AM
The Schaumburg Boomers scored 8 runs in the first inning and erased a five-game losing streak with a 10-1 victory over the host Evansville Otters on Sunday. The Boomers sent 13 men to the plate in the first inning
This pendulum has swung Rizzo’s wayJun 29, 2014 12:00 AM
In the latest update on the Anthony Rizzo-Andrew Cashner trade, the pendulum has swung in favor of Rizzo, the Cubs and Theo Epstein. Stay tuned for futher developments.
For Cubs' Epstein, connections with Boston are realJun 29, 2014 12:00 AM
The Cubs are in Boston for an interleague series this week against the Red Sox at Fenway Park. For Cubs president Theo Epstein, the series is personal. Daily Herald Cubs writer Bruce Miles sat down with Epstein recently for a question-and-answer session that touched on all things Boston and Chicago.
Brockmeyer hits for cycle in Cougars’ winJun 29, 2014 12:00 AM
When Cael Brockmeyer sent a flyball to right-center, the main focus was if the ball was going to be caught or not. The idea of the Cougars catcher completing a cycle was an afterthought, but it turned out to be the highlight and difference in the game. Brockmeyer’s 2-run homer gave the Cougars (8-2, 53-27) a 9-7 victory over the Beloit Snappers (2-8, 32-48) Sunday at Pohlman Field.
Quintana gets win, Sox blank Blue JaysJun 29, 2014 12:00 AM
Breaking down Cubs, Sox standouts so farJun 29, 2014 12:00 AM
By the time the All-Star Game comes, on Tuesday, July 15, the White Sox will have played 96 of their 162 games, and the Cubs 94. You’ll be inundated with midseason reports. So since the Sox have played 82 and the Cubs 80, allow me to get the jump. This week we look at upside since Opening Day.
- Fire damages downtown Naperville restaurant
- Big trade brings Cubs closer to winning
- McCarthy and Falcone are goofballs in matrimony
- NBA waiting on decisions by James, Anthony
- Woman crashes SUV into Buffalo Grove store
- Horses, goat die in barn fire near Wauconda
- With trade, Cubs' Epstein sees light at end of tunnel
- Al Salvi remembers run-in with IRS's Lois Lerner
- Did Cubs' Epstein get taken for a ride?
- Car hits house in Elk Grove Village
- Neighbors decry car-racing noise at Sears Centre
- The top six fireworks shows in the suburbs
- Berkshire Partners to buy Portillo's restaurants
- Where the Wheaton College ruling could lead
- 'Fantastic horseman' Bruce Duchossois dies at 64
- Local clergy hand out condoms at Aurora Hobby Lobby store
- Sources: Cubs trade Samardzija, Hammel to Oakland
- When, where to see fireworks in the suburbs
- Ryan: 'Americans should come to their senses'
- Three injured in Fox River watercraft accident
- CARGO RAMP PASSENGER WAREHOUSE - Come start your career. Join the Total Airport Services Team today at O'Hare Airport. Visit us at www.tasinc.aero or call 773.686.0100 (id:4377951) MANAGEMENT ANALYST - Management Analyst for Vorne Industries, Inc. in Itasca, IL to create new line of business for manuf. improvement services. Develop/ implement service offerings to deliver best practices for improving manuf. productivity. Req's Master's (or foreign equivalent) in Bus. Admin. Marketing, or Mgmt Consulting + 2 yrs. Exp. providing consulting services to companies in manufacturing improvement; OR a Bachelor's + 5 yrs. Exp. Also req's: expertise creating/implementing systems to enhance manufacturing productivity, using OEE, Six Big Losses, Theory of Constraints and SMED; providing onsite consulting services internationally to manuf. companies; and creating training programs and audit and governance documentation. Position requires approximately 20% domestic and int'l travel. Submit resume to email@example.com. (id:4378257) ORTHODONTIC ASSISTANT - Orthodontic Assistant FT- Must be gentle & high energy. Exp & bilingul(spanish) a plus. 8-6 M-F, Tu 6:30 pm, Sa 8-12 firstname.lastname@example.org (id:4378963)
- CLEANING - CLEANING Earn $11-13/hr. Daytime hours M-F. Weekly pay. Car necessary. Call Merry Maids, 847-352-1051. (id:4379109) FOOD SERVICE - Food Service The Deerfield Golf Club is looking for experienced food service workers. -PT Cook -7 days, 10a-10p -Outside Grill Cook - Fri-Sun 8a-4p -Outside Beverage Cart - Fri-Sun 8a-4p Starting Wages - Cook $10-12 DOE, Beverage and Grill Station Attendant $8.25+tips Apply online at www.deerfieldparks.org or call Shaun at (847) 945-8333 for additional information. (id:4379019) RECEPTIONIST - Community Connections Center -Intake Coordinator/ Receptionist (Part-time) The Village of Mount Prospect, Illinois, population 54,000 is located 22 miles from downtown Chicago and five miles north of O'Hare International Airport. The Human Services Department is seeking a qualified individual for the part-time Intake Coordinator/Receptionist position at the Community Connections Center. The Intake Coordinator/Receptionist provides administrative support to the Community Connections Center Coordinator, the Mount Prospect Public Library South Branch and partner agencies. Support consists of, but is not limited to, general office duties, assisting visitors to the center with inquires, providing information and referrals, scheduling appointments, conducting intake and entering data. Qualified candidates must be bilingual in English and Spanish, have knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel, possess a valid Illinois Driver's License and be able to work flexible hours. An Associate's or Bachelor's degree in the Human Services field is preferred. The position offers an average of 20-25 hours per week depending on operational needs of the center, participation in the Illinois Municipal Retirement Fund (IMRF) and part-time paid vacation benefits after one (1) year of employment. Starting rate is $16.00 -$19.00 per hour depending on qualifications. Send resume and cover letter to Julie Kane, Human Services Director, Village of Mount Prospect, 50 S. Emerson St, Mount Prospect, IL 60056, Fax: (847) 818-5321, Email: email@example.com. Application forms are available for download at www.mountprospect.org. EOE (id:4378619)
- DRIVER - driver National DCP is the exclusive sourcing and distribution provider for Dunkin' Donuts Brand, and is seeking experienced Class A Route Drivers $27.00 Per Hour Plus Overtime National DCP offers great benefits, Overtime Pay over 40 hours, and the potential to earn $80,000 Annually! $2,500 SIGNING BONUS after 90 days of employment! Required Experience/Qualifications: -2 years' experience and clean driving record -Ability to lift up to 50 pounds -Must clear all required DOT pre-employment screening APPLY NOW! -IN PERSON BETWEEN 8AM AND 4PM: NATIONAL DCP 9000 W. 192nd Street, Mokena, IL 60487 -EMAIL: Drivers@natdcp.com -PHONE: (855) 637-3341 EOE M/F/D/V (id:4379016) DRIVER - Driver Local, Regional and Linehaul LTL Runs $1500 SIGN-ON Bonus EXCELLENT HOMETIME! Paid Orientation Great Pay 11 Day Refresher Course Available EEOE/AAP 866-323-7875 www.driveFFE.com (id:4377991) EXPERIENCED DRIVER - Elgin metal company is hiring experienced CDL Class A tractor trailer drivers. Local and regional work around Chicago and an 800 mile radius. $21-hr. Call: 847-214-2800 for address to submit job application. (id:4378514)
Connect with a business or service in your area fast. First select a town, then enter a search term or choose one of the listed popular searches:
Don't see your town listed? Visit our full directory to begin your search.