A fire that caused an estimated $150,000 damage to a single-family house on the 4000 block of Capstan Drive in Hoffman Estates was determined to have been caused by a plumber completing work there, according to Hoffman Estates Fire Department officials.
Firefighters were called to the two-story house at 6 p.m. Tuesday and found smoke emanating from the roof's eaves. All occupants had already safely evacuated.
The house was deemed to be uninhabitable after the fire. The smoke detectors were working but the house did not have a sprinkler system.