3-1/4 cup flour
½ cup sugar
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
1 cup mini-chocolate chips*
½ cup toasted pecans*
1 cup Heath bits*
2 cups heavy cream (see below for vegan option)
Extra sugar to sprinkle on top of scones, large crystals if available
Sea Salt, if desired
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Combine all dry ingredients in bowl. Add heavy cream and mix gently until a small ball forms, being careful not to over mix. Form into two discs, or long "logs" and cut into eight wedges each.
Place on parchment lined baking sheet. Sprinkle with a little more sugar, plus a tiny amount of sea salt if desired. (The addition of sea salt is especially good on the chocolate chip, pecan and Heath bit combination.)
Bake for 20 minutes.
*all, and/or, any combination equaling approximately 2-1/2 cups.
Vegan option: Substitute 2 cans coconut milk for heavy cream: strain coconut milk to gather solids, add remaining liquid to fill 2 cups measurement.
* Feel free to get creative and try some of the following combinations…
* Crystallized ginger and peach
* Lemon zest and fresh or dried blueberries
* Golden raisin, cranberry, or currant
* Orange zest and dried cranberries
* Mini-chocolate chips and orange zest
* Cinnamon chips and pecans
* Dried cherries and almonds
* Lemon zest and rosemary
* Try savory: crispy bacon pieces, green onion and cheddar cheese
* Or anything else you can imagine, just be sure nothing you include adds too much moisture to the dough.